CAROL (Case Analysis and Reporting Online), allows you to search NTSB investigations and recommendations data across all modes.
- For aviation investigations, all records from 1962 to present are available.
- For investigations in other modes (rail, pipeline, hazardous materials, highway and marine), data from 2010 to present are available.
- For recommendations, over 15,000 NTSB-issued safety recommendations are available.
There are four ways to search for data:
- Basic Investigation and Recommendation Search allows you to search:
- Common Investigation Fields and
- Safety Recommendation Fields.
Use the Custom Search Builder to create more refined searches.
- Aviation Investigation Search allows you to search all aviation investigations using one or more of the available fields. The returned results will meet all of the criteria you entered. Use the Custom Search Builder to create more refined searches.
- Custom Search Builder allows you to build custom searches by selecting from a variety of investigation and/or recommendation fields. You can select whether to display results that match any or all of your individual query rules, or group your rules so results match any or all of the multiple rules in your grouping. For more information, see the CAROL custom search builder help page.
- Published Searches allows you to view already published popular searches on topics such as safety recommendations associated with the Most Wanted List (MWL). These searches show dynamic data reflecting current information in the database each time you open them.
Downloading your results
You may download a CSV or JSON file containing all query records by clicking either the Download Data (JSON) or Download Summary (CSV) buttons on the bottom of the query page.
See the CAROL Guide for more information on using CAROL to search for data, constructing advanced queries, and for definitions of the database fields.
To search for accident dockets across all modes, use the
Accident Docket Search. In the future, docket search capability will be included in CAROL.
CAROL works with all modern browsers.