The NTSB has approximately 400 employees located in its Headquarters in Washington, DC, and in regional field offices in Ashburn (VA), Atlanta (GA), Miami (FL), Chicago (IL), Denver (CO), Arlington (TX), Federal Way (WA), Anchorage (AK), and Gardena (CA). Our employees work in a variety of transportation, transportation related, and administrative support occupations such as Aerospace Engineer, Air Safety Investigator, Transportation Safety Specialist, Highway Accident Investigator, Human Performance Investigator, Human Resources Specialist, Attorney-Advisor, Contract Specialist, Writer-Editor and Information Technology Specialist, and more.
The NTSB values transparency, accountability, integrity, diversity and inclusion. Our staff reflects our values and we urge all with a passion for transportation safety to consider joining our agency.
How to Apply For a Federal Job
The NTSB utilizes USAJOBS as its recruitment web site. This site is a collaborative effort between the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and Federal agencies to provide an innovative Internet site that assists applicants in finding employment with the Federal government. Job seekers looking for a job with the Federal government can find to the following key features on the Recruitment One-Stop site:
- One portal advertising thousands of Federal government job opportunities across the nation and around the world;
- One job search engine that allows you to search for jobs by job family, job location, salary, or level of experience;
- One standard display for all vacancy announcements;
- One site to build and store an online resume;
- One method for applying for positions that provides immediate feedback on basic eligibility; and
- One place to check on the status of your application. (See site on vacancy announcement for which you applied).
Applicants must supply:
- A resume (submit via mail, fax, online, or as otherwise specified in the vacancy announcement),
- Other "Required Documents" if applicable(i.e., college transcripts, Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50/FSA-50, current annual performance appraisal (within 18 months), DD-214, etc.) as specified in the vacancy announcement,
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA's), statement or Online Assessment Questionnaire if specified in the vacancy announcement.
Who May Apply
Check the vacancy announcement to see if you are eligible to apply. Some or all of the following may be eligible:
- STATUS applicants are persons who have a career or career-conditional appointment in the competitive service or have reinstatement eligibility. These applicants may apply for any vacancy within the area of consideration. Status applicants are eligible for consideration for announcements that are advertised through the NTSB Merit Staffing Plan.
- NON-STATUS applicants are persons who are not in the competitive service and have no reinstatement eligibility. These applicants may apply for any vacancy when the area of consideration states "ALL SOURCES", ALL U.S. CITIZENS, OR "NON-STATUS".
- SPECIAL HIRING AUTHORITIES. People with disabilities, former Peace Corps, Vista, and Action Cooperative Volunteers, Veterans Recruitment Act (VRA) eligibles, and 30% Disabled Veterans may be considered under special hiring authorities. Read more on the OPM Web site.
- DISPLACED employees who are current employees serving under career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service, who have received a specific reduction in force (RIF) separation notice.
- SURPLUS employees who are current agency employees serving under career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service, who have received a Certification of Expected Separation or other certification issued by the agency which identifies the employees as being in a surplus organization or occupation.
The NTSB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or family status.
For additional information, please contact the Human Resources office at (800) 573-0937 or (202) 314-6239