Day 1: Cognitive Interviewing for Accident Investigators - BASIC
This session provides the foundational knowledge and skills needed to conduct interviews of participants in, and witnesses to, transportation incidents or accidents. Emphasis will be on the cognitive interviewing technique to maximize the amount and quality of information obtained during investigative interviews.
Day 2: Cognitive Interviewing for Accident Investigators - ADVANCED
This session will focus on refining the CI techniques and will provide the participant with numerous opportunities to gain confidence using the CI method through interactive discussion, demonstrations and exercises.
ID Code: IM401
Dates, Times and Location
February 16-17, 2022
8:30 am – 4:30 pm (Tentative) Course Agenda will be sent a week prior to start date
Virtual, Zoom Government platform.
Tuition and Registration
- $955 early registration by January 16, 2022
- $1,025 late registration between January 17 and February 9, 2022
We are no longer accepting offline registrations.
Payment must be made at time of registration.
Status: OPEN. Applications are now being accepted
- Theories of memory and recall
- Influences on eyewitness memory
- Logistical aspects of interviewing in transportation accident investigations
- Interviewer techniques to enhance interviewee recall
- Using interview information in accident investigations
- NTSB accident investigation case studies
- Theories of memory and recall - ADVANCED
- Influences on eyewitness memory - ADVANCED
- Interviewer techniques to enhance interviewee recall – ADVANCED
- Using interview information in accident investigations – ADVANCED
- NTSB accident investigation case studies (CON’T)
Upon completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Use the Cognitive Interview (CI) method to obtain more accurate and complete information from eyewitnesses and critical personnel in accident investigations
- Explain how the social dynamics in an interview can affect its outcome
- Identify various errors of perception and memory
- Employ various techniques to enhance a witness’ recall of an event
- Brief colleagues about the interview process and its impact on the outcome of an investigation
Who May Attend
- Those who may be involved in transportation accident investigations
- Those who may be required to conduct interviews as part of any type of investigation
- Those with an interest in the methodology of obtaining and applying critical data in a transportation accident investigation
- Members of the academic community attending for research purposes (on a space-available basis)
Contact us at