On March 20, 2011, at 1400 central daylight time, a Cessna 150H, N6555S, was substantially damaged during an off-airport landing near Maury City, Tennessee. The certificated commercial pilot and passenger were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the local flight, which originated at Arnold Field (M31), Halls, Tennessee. The personal flight was conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to the pilot/owner, he and his passenger departed M31 about 1300 for a flight in the local area. While flying at an altitude of about 500 feet agl, the pilot heard a "pop" from the rear of the airplane. Not knowing the exact origin of the sound, or if continued flight was safe, the pilot chose an area ahead to perform a precautionary landing. The pilot reduced engine power and attempted to "slip" the airplane using opposite aileron and rudder control inputs in order to descend. The pilot noted that the left rudder pedal would not move, and that he could not slip the airplane to the left. The airplane approached the field higher and faster than the pilot intended, then departed the opposite end of the field and crossed a highway before coming to rest in the front yard of a residence. During the landing roll, the nose landing gear collapsed, resulting in substantial damage to the engine firewall.

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector examined the airplane at the scene, which was located about 10 nautical miles southeast of M31. According to the inspector, the nose landing gear had collapsed forward, the right side nose landing gear steering linkage was pulled taut, and movement of the left rudder pedal was restricted. After disconnecting the right side steering linkage, the rudder operated normally in both directions, and no other flight control anomalies were noted.

According to maintenance logs, the airplane's most recent annual inspection was completed on April 25, 2010. Between the previous annual inspection, which was completed on April 20, 2009 and the 2010 annual inspection, the airplane had accumulated about 5 flight hours.

The pilot held a commercial pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single and multiengine land, and instrument airplane. He also held a flight instructor certificate with ratings for airplane single-engine and instrument airplane, which had expired in 2002. The pilot reported 400 total hours of flight experience, 300 of which were in the accident airplane make and model. Review of the pilot's logbook indicated that he had completed a flight review in the accident airplane on September 5, 2009. No subsequent flight experience was documented after that date with the exception of the accident flight.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page