On July 23, 2007, about 0930 mountain standard time, a Beech C23, N6005X, collided with terrain during an attempted go-around at Taylor Airport, Taylor, Arizona. The student pilot was operating the borrowed airplane under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91. The pilot, the sole occupant was not injured; the airplane was destroyed. The local area solo instructional flight departed Taylor about 0920. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed.

The pilot stated in a written report that he had flown for 50 minutes with his certified flight instructor (CFI) prior to the accident flight. After successful completion of air work, and four takeoff and landings, the CFI signed the student's logbook for solo flight and exited the airplane.

The pilot stated that he checked weather using the automated weather observation system (AWOS) and found winds to be calm with no ceilings. He then took off from runway 21, and during the turn to crosswind, encountered rain. To avoid the rain he elected to extend his downwind; however, the rain obscured his vision. He turned onto the base leg and discovered he had turned too soon. He elected to continue with the landing at a steeper than usual approach angle. He noted increased rain activity to the east of the runway, and observed the air speed on final to be between 75 and 80 knots. He flared high and the airplane bounced after it made contact with the runway. The airplane then veered to the left and the pilot applied full power. The left landing gear struck weeds along the runway edge; the pilot lowered the nose, and applied right rudder. The airplane continued to strike weeds adjacent to the runway. The airplane then veered to the right and flew for approximately 100 feet before the right main landing gear struck the runway and was sheared off. The left main landing gear then impacted soft mud and was also sheared off. The airplane came to rest and the pilot immediately exited. The airplane was consumed by post impact fire.

The CFI was interviewed by an National Transportation Safety Board investigator. He stated that he observed the airplane in the pattern, and judged it to be high on final. He did not observe rain in the vicinity, but noted that during this time of year, it was possible to encounter "sprinkles" in the pattern, and surmised this was the reason for the high approach.

The closest official weather observation station was Show Low, Arizona, located about 13 nm southeast of Taylor at an elevation of 6,415 feet msl. An aviation routine weather report (METAR) for Show Low was issued at 0930. It stated: winds from 090 degrees at 6 knots; visibility 10 statute miles; skies, few clouds 4,900 feet, broken clouds 9,000 feet; temperature 21 degrees Celsius; dew point 14 degrees Celsius; altimeter 30.31 inches of mercury; lightning distant, southwest and northwest.

The pilot stated that the airplane and engine had no mechanical failures or malfunctions during the flight.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page