On May 14, 2005, about 1500 mountain standard time, a Diamond DA 20-C1, N791MA, experienced a hard landing at the Glendale Municipal Airport (GEU), Glendale, Arizona. The pilot/owner was operating the airplane under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91. The private pilot, the sole occupant, was not injured; the airplane sustained substantial damage. The personal local area flight departed Glendale about 1345. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed. The primary wreckage was at 33 degrees 31 minutes north latitude and 112 degrees 17 minutes west longitude.

An hourly weather report issued for GEU at 1457 reported winds from the west at 5.8 miles per hour (mph) with a temperature of 93.2 degrees Fahrenheit and a dew point of 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit. At 1547, the hourly weather observation reported winds from the north-northeast at 4.6 mph with a temperature of 93.2 degrees Fahrenheit and a dew point of 26.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

During the first interview with the National Transportation Safety Board investigator-in-charge (IIC) on the day of the accident, the pilot stated that he was making a straight in approach for runway 19 from the north. The pilot reported that the approach was normal and he recalled Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS) reporting winds at 4 knots. He "felt ground effect" and noted the airspeed at 44 knots (normal landing airspeed is between 40-44 knots). He said that he pulled the throttle control all the way out and the nose dropped and impacted the runway. He further reported that he may have prevented the accident by not pulling the throttle control all the way out. He added that there were no preimpact mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane.

In a second interview with the pilot on June 6, 2005, he reported that he flared too high, and the airplane stalled. During this interview he also felt that if he had initiated a go-around the accident could have been prevented.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) accident coordinator and another FAA inspector examined the airplane and noted damage to the firewall. On June 30, 2005, the pilot voluntarily surrendered his pilot's certificate and medical to the local FAA Flight Standards District Office.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page