On December 25, 2004, about 1445 eastern standard time, a Cessna 150C, N7857Z, was substantially damaged during a forced landing, following a loss of engine power during the initial climb from the Spadaro Airport (1N2), East Moriches, New York. The certificated private pilot sustained minor injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the local personal flight conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

According to the pilot's written statement, on departure from 1N2 the airplane's engine experienced a partial loss of power. He attempted to restore full power by using the carburetor heat control, however the engine continued to lose power so he shut off the carburetor heat. He then elected to perform a forced landing on a road. Upon landing, the airplane bounced, and touched down in a field. During the rollout the airplane struck an obstruction with the nose wheel, nosed over and came to rest inverted, damaging the propeller, nose gear, cowling and vertical stabilizer.

Examination of the wreckage by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) airworthiness inspector, revealed that the fuel tanks had remained intact and appeared to be almost full. Fuel was drained from the gascolator and each fuel tank, and no contamination was observed.

A post accident examination by an airframe and powerplant mechanic of the airplane's engine was conducted. When the crankshaft was rotated by hand, crankshaft and camshaft continuity was confirmed. The magnetos produced spark at all top and bottom spark plugs. A differential pressure test was also conducted in accordance with Teledyne Continental Motors service bulletin SB03-3. According to the mechanic, while performing the test, air could be heard to discharge at the oil filler/crankcase breather and cylinders #1 and #3, exhibited cylinder differential pressure test readings below the leakage limits.

During an interview with the mechanic conducted on February 9, 2005, the mechanic stated that he believed the engine was "tired" and that during an internal inspection of the #1 and #3 cylinders, he found heavy carbon deposits on both the cylinder heads and valves. Wear was also visually observed on the cylinder walls and both rod end bearings exhibited excessive play.

The airplane had received an annual inspection 55 flight hours prior to the accident and the engine was 164 flight hours short of the recommended overhaul time.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page