On July 10, 2002, at 1125 eastern daylight time, a Stinson 108-2, N390C, was substantially damaged when it struck a parked, YAK-55 during an attempted takeoff from Lincoln Park Airport (N07), Lincoln Park, New Jersey. The certificated private pilot received minor injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time. No flight plan had been filed for the flight, between Lincoln Park and Warwick Municipal Airport (N72), Warwick, New York. The personal flight was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

According to the pilot, he conducted a preflight inspection, started the engine, and performed magneto and carburetor heat checks. He then taxied the airplane about 1,500 feet, to the south end of the airport for a takeoff from runway 01. He was second in line to take off, but had to wait for "a considerable time" with the engine at idle while four other airplanes landed, and the one in front of him took off. Prior to takeoff attempt, the pilot selected takeoff flaps and takeoff trim.

During the takeoff roll, the pilot felt the airplane was not accelerating normally, but attributed it to summer temperatures. About 1,000 feet down the runway, the airplane broke ground briefly, then settled back onto the runway, "which was not unusual in summer." The pilot then "got it off the ground" by pulling back on the yoke, but still felt the airplane was not accelerating normally, so he raised the flaps. The airplane drifted off the left side of the runway and settled into the Yak. The airplane then continued up an embankment, and came to rest partially on a road.

In a written statement provided several months after the accident, the pilot amplified his original statement: "About 1,000 feet, I broke ground briefly...and I became airborne again in another 100 feet. I glanced at the airspeed indicator and saw that the speed was below stall with flaps, and pushed the yoke forward to reduce the angle of attack, and released the flaps to increase speed. I did not notice that the engine was not running."

Post-accident examination of the airplane revealed no mechanical discrepancies which could have contributed to the accident. The fuel was checked, and found to be clear, blue in color, and absent of debris.

A carburetor icing probability chart revealed that ambient conditions during the time of the accident could have resulted in moderate icing at cruise power or serious icing at glide power.

The airplane was equipped with a Franklin 6A-4165 series engine. According to the certificated airframe and powerplants mechanic who maintained the airplane, the engine was particularly susceptible to carburetor icing on the ground due to the position of the air intake manifold.

An engine runup was completed after the accident. Immediately afterwards, the carburetor box felt cold to the touch.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page