On May 15, 2001, at 1337 eastern daylight time, a Cessna P337H, N1013V, collided with the ground 1/2 mile west of Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The local flight was operated by the pilot under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91 with no flight plan filed. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The airplane sustained substantial damage. The air transport pilot and passenger both received minor injuries. The flight departed Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, at 1207 eastern daylight time.

Reportedly, the pilot was conducting multiple approaches and landings. During the accident approach and landing, both engines lost power and the pilot initiated emergency procedures. During the emergency approach and landing, the airplane hit the middle marker beacon that is 1/2 mile west of the airport. Then the airplane impacted the ground, collided with a chain link fence, skidded across the south lane of NW 31st Avenue, through the medium, across the north lane of NW 31st Avenue and came to a stop on the chain link fence.

Examination of the airplane showed the left wing tank was dry. Approximately 4.5 gallons of aviation fuel were recovered from the right wing tank. No noticeable fuel leaks were on the ground. Post accident investigation and engine run-up revealed no mechanical malfunction.

The pilot was advised by the Fixed Base Operator Line Personnel that the airplane had only 38 gallons of total fuel on board. The pilot elected to fly without fueling up. The pilot told line personnel that the airplane had enough fuel for his 45 minute flight. Approximately one hour and 45 minutes later, the line personnel noticed that the airplane was down on the west side of the airport. According to Cessna, dual engine stoppage is possible if fuel is allowed to drop below 8.3 gallons. The pilot did not report any mechanical problems with the engines.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page