On Sunday, March 21, 1993, at approximately 1850 central standard time, a Champion 7ECA, N11052, was destroyed when it impacted the ground following a loss of control shortly after takeoff. The airplane, owned and operated by the private pilot, had just taken off from the Dublin, Texas, municipal airport on what was to have been a 14 CFR Part 91 local personal flight. There was no flight plan filed and visual meteorological conditions prevailed in the area. The pilot and the one passenger received fatal injuries.

According to witnesses and acquaintances of the pilot, he removed the airplane from its hangar and conducted a pre flight inspection. After what they described as a normal start, warm up, and taxi, the witnesses saw the airplane stop at the end of runway 15, do a run up and then take off. The airplane was observed to climb to about 100 to 150 feet above ground level, level off and then enter what one witness described as a hard right bank. Continuation of the right turn would have taken the airplane back over where the pilot's acquaintances were standing. The witnesses stated that during the bank, the nose fell through and the airplane impacted the ground west of the runway.


Several witnesses saw the accident, however, only three written statements were submitted during the investigation. The statements were consistent. All of the responding witnesses stated that the engine sounded normal throughout the flight. One witness stated that the airplane stalled in the steep right bank and went straight into the ground. Another stated the airplane appeared to be recovering from the nose down attitude at the time of impact. Law enforcement officers who responded to the accident stated that the winds were gusting out of the east. The witnesses stated the winds were down the runway at between 10 and 15 knots.


The pilot had complied with the biennial flight review requirements in the accident airplane on November 20, 1992, when he took his private pilot check ride. His logs indicated that he had accumulated 168 hours total time.

An expired combination Class III medical and Student Pilot certificate was found in the personal effects of the passenger, Mr. Christopher M. Cannon. The certificate had been issued on January 4, 1989, and contained three endorsements for Cessna 150 aircraft, including one dated December 21, 1992. The FAA indicated that they had no active record of Mr. Cannon being a pilot.


The airplane and engine received annual and 100 hour inspections on May 14, 1992, at a total time of 1513.08 hours, about 155.98 hours prior to the accident. The only subsequent maintenance reflected in the airplane's log books were oil changes. The last airplane service could not be determined, however, it was estimated that the airplane took off with approximately 20 gallons of aviation fuel. Estimates indicated that the airplane was within the prescribed limits for weight and center of gravity at the time of the accident. An audit of the aircraft maintenance records did not reveal any outstanding discrepancies that would have affected its airworthiness and no evidence of pre impact failure or malfunction was found in the airframe or powerplant during the investigation.


The airplane impacted off the right side of runway 15, 2,350 feet from the departure end. The main wreckage came to rest approximately 300 feet to the right of the runway centerline. The airplane impacted on a measured heading of 315 degrees. Imprints from both main landing gear and the engine were left at the initial impact point as was an imprint from the left wing. Mud and grass was found imbedded in the wheels, lower engine and cowl and the left wing. The main wreckage came to rest in an inverted position, 33 feet from the point of initial impact, on a measured heading of 180 degrees.

The outboard section of the right wing, outboard of the fuel tank, separated from the airplane, but remained in place in relationship to the fuselage. However, the cables were cut and the wing subsequently moved by rescue personnel. Both fuel tanks were found ruptured and there was a strong aroma of fuel throughout the wreckage. Control continuity was established to all of the flight controls with the exception of the right aileron whose cables had been cut. Both sticks moved in unison as each was moved. All of the control cables were bound due to distortion in the fuselage. The engine was found broken out of its mounts and displaced aft and up. The carburetor was found separated at the manifold and dirt was found throughout the air filter and manifold. The exhaust manifolds and stacks were found deformed around various bolts on the engine case and had an appearance consistent with deformation at high temperature. The propeller remained attached to the crankshaft. The spinner was deformed around the shape of the propeller and there was evidence of torsional twist on the spinner. Both blades remained attached, one was bent back over the engine cowling and the other was bent aft about six inches. Neither blade exhibited nicks, gouges or chordwise striations.

Both seats remained attached to their respective floor mounts. The floor was found buckled upward. The seats were equipped with seat belts which were utilized by the occupants, however, there were no shoulder harnesses installed. No evidence of either inflight or post crash fire was found.


An autopsy and toxicology tests were ordered on the pilot. These were performed by Anatomic and Forensic Pathology Consultants in Fort Worth, Texas. There were no significant findings.


The engine was torn down on April 16, 1993. No evidence of inflight failure or malfunction was found during the examination. For a complete discussion of the examination, please see the attached report.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Wreckage Release: The wreckage was released to the owner's representative on April 16, 1993. All of the retained records, including the pilot's personal logbook, were returned with the release.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page