On December 15, 1997, about 1318 Alaska standard time, a Cessna 207 airplane, N707FY, sustained substantial damage during a forced landing at the Alakanuk Airport, Alakanuk, Alaska. The airplane was being operated as a visual flight rules (VFR) cargo flight under Title 14 CFR Part 135 when the accident occurred. The airplane is registered to Village Aviation Inc., Anchorage, Alaska, and operated by Camai Air, Bethel, Alaska. The certificated commercial pilot, the sole occupant, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. VFR company flight following procedures were in effect. The flight originated at the Emmonak Airport, Emmonak, Alaska, about 1313.

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator-in-charge (IIC), on December 16, 1997, at 0830, the Director of Operations for Camai Air reported the pilot was landing at Alakanuk with a load of cargo. About 700 to 800 feet above the ground, the engine began to run rough, and sputter. The pilot performed a forced landing about 1/8 mile from the Alakanuk Airport.

In the pilot/operator report (NTSB form 6120.1/2) submitted by the operator, the pilot reported his route of flight was a trip from Bethel, to Hooper Bay, Alaska, to Emmonak, and then to Alakanuk. During the trip, the pilot indicated he operated the airplane on the right fuel tank for 30 minutes. During the balance of the trip, the pilot selected the left fuel tank. The pilot indicated when the engine began to lose power, he switched the fuel selector from the left fuel tank to the right tank, and activated the engine boost pump. The engine did not respond, and the pilot switched back to the left tank while activating the engine starter.

The pilot reported he noticed the airplane was too high to land at the approach end of runway 18 at the Alakanuk Airport, and too low to make a turn for landing on runway 36. The pilot selected an emergency landing area off the departure end of runway 18. During the landing, the airplane collided with numerous trees, and received damage to the left wing, fuselage, and landing gear.

During a telephone conversation with the NTSB IIC on December 29, 1997, at 1050, the Director of Operations for the operator reported he inspected the accident airplane. The inspection revealed no fuel in the left wing fuel tank, and no fuel in the left fuel reservoir tank. In the NTSB form 6120.1/2, the operator indicated there was no mechanical malfunction.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page