On July 10, 1996, at about 1330 eastern daylight time (EDT), a Mooney M20M, N1085W, ran off the departure end of the runway, and collided with a fence after landing at Hartford-Brainard Airport, in Hartford, Connecticut. The pilot, and the one passenger reported no injuries. The airplane sustained substantial damage. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight, and no flight plan was filed. The flight operated under 14 CFR Part 91, and originated from Lawrence G. Hanscom Field, in Bedford, Massachusetts, at approximately 1235 EDT.

The passenger of the accident aircraft stated that as the aircraft flew over the approach end of the intended landing runway, he thought that the airplane was somewhat higher above the ground than it should have been. He reported that when the pilot attempted to flare the aircraft for landing, it did not settle to the runway, "...rather that it seemed to float down the runway." The passenger stated that he looked "...down and to the left...and observed [the pilot] attempting to push the throttle in for full power... ." The passenger indicated that the power did not increase. The airplane touched down more than halfway down the runway, and veered to the right before it impacted a fence.

The pilot reported that when the airplane was about 2 miles out, he recognized that the airplane "...was not slowed down enough for the final approach." The pilot requested and received air traffic control (ATC) clearance to perform a 360 degree turn to the right and rejoin final approach at a slower airspeed. The pilot stated that he performed his final approach procedures, and slowed the airplane to 75-80 knots, but when the airplane passed over the "...dike at the end of 29...[it]...caught a strong updraft...[the airplane] floated, and with 1/3 of the runway used, I attempted to [apply] full throttle for a go around, however the throttle control would not go in." The pilot stated that he decided to land the airplane. After the airplane touched down the pilot "...steered the plane toward the longest open point of ground, which was a corner of the field to the right. The left wing struck a fence post, turning the plane around into the fence."

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Inspector stated that postaccident examination confirmed that the flight controls were capable of normal operation. The FAA Inspector reported that examination of the throttle, mixture and propeller controls established that the controls were capable of normal operation. There was no evidence of preimpact mechanical anomaly.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page