On May 11, 1996, at 1210 eastern daylight time, a Piper PA-18, N2528S was substantially damaged during a landing at the Marshfield Airport, Marshfield, Massachusetts. The private pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological condition prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed for the local flight which originated at Marshfield, at 1100, and was operated under 14 CFR Part 91.

In the NTSB Accident Report, the pilot stated:

"...Wind was [from] S.W. 10-20 at end of flight. Came in on [runway] 24 for short final...I believe wind was from S.W. about 15 knots and noticed plane taxiing for runway 24 so I came in a little fast because it can get thermally on 24 at 3B2 for more control of plane. As I touched down, plane became very squirrley and started to ground-loop to right. Used rt. aileron and left rudder working on instinct and feel...Had plane under control landing with rt. Main firm on runway when tail rose up...Put aft. Rt. Aileron and full left rudder with a little left brake to stop ground-loop and stay aligned with runway and regained control. Tail came down again, and promptly shot up once more, this happened with full rt and rear aileron and elevator control aft. Tail came down as plane slowed and then popped up again and drove prop into runway. I still had plane under control and fighting to save landing when plane went off rt. side of runway and when hit the grass nosed over, plane came to rest inverted...."

A witness reported:

"I was taxiing on the parallel taxi-way when I saw 28S in final. The wind was shifting from 24 to rw 6 as 28S was on final approach. It became very gusty with wind speed near 30 kts. The approach looked good...28S was doing a good X-wind wheel landing with the upwind mail planed on the runway. The tail dropped to the runway and it looked like the landing was going to be successful, then the tail popped up. 28S recovered and continued the roll when the tail came up one more time and drove the prop into the ground stopping the engine. The tail came back down as he started to head off the runway. About 15 or 20 feet onto the grass the tail rose up one last time, buried the nose and 28S went onto its back...."

According to a designated weather observer, at 1205, the winds were reported to be from 260 degrees at 8 knots, and at 1212, and the winds were reported to from 190 degrees, variable to 310 degrees, at 8 knots, with gusts to 25 knots.

The pilot's total time was 537 hours with 458 hours as pilot-in-command.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page