On May 11, 1995, at 1245 Pacific daylight time, a Taylorcraft BC12-D, N96202, experienced a loss of engine power shortly after take off from Evergreen Field, Vancouver, Washington. During the forced landing, the airplane collided with the terrain. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and no flight plan was filed for the local instructional flight. The airplane was substantially damaged and the flight instructor was seriously injured. The student pilot received minor injuries.

Both the student pilot and the flight instructor reported that the purpose of the instructional flight was for the student to practice touch-and-go landings. Both pilots stated that shortly after takeoff at approximately 50-75 feet above ground level, the engine suddenly lost all power. The instructor stated that there was "no missing, sputtering or other warning, as though the fuel was cut-off or both magnetos shut off." The flight instructor took over and attempted to restart the engine, however, he was unsuccessful. The flight instructor stated that he may have been distracted when attempting to restart the engine as the right wing dropped and the airplane collided with the terrain in a semi stalled attitude.

Both pilots reported that they had completed several touch-and- go landings without incident. Carburetor heat was applied on the downwind leg each time, and shut off before applying power for takeoff.

A witness in the local area had been watching the airplane as it performed the touch-and-go landings. This witness stated that when the airplane climbed to approximately 50 feet above ground level and over the west end of the runway, he heard the engine begin sputtering, then quit. The airplane continued straight ahead for a few seconds then it turned right and appeared to stall before striking the ground right wing first, nose down, and cartwheeling once before coming to rest.

During the engine inspection, the engine rotated easily, with normal range compression developed in each cylinder. Rocker arm, valve train and accessory gear continuity was established. All spark plugs displayed normal operating signatures, and both magnetos produced a spark. Fuel was found in the fuel tanks and the fuel lines and valve were open and clear of obstructions. The carburetor displayed impact damage, however, the fuel screen was clean and the float functioned normally. Control continuity was checked to the carburetor heat control and the carburetor heat valve covers, with no noted abnormalities.

At the time of the accident the Portland Airport, located four miles southwest of the Evergreen Airport, was reporting a temperature of 59 degrees and a dewpoint of 45 degrees. The probable carburetor icing chart indicates that the airplane was operating in the range of serious icing at cruise or climb power.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page