On February 8, 1994, at 1745 Pacific standard time, a Cessna 152, N49157, lost engine power during the takeoff initial climb at the Corona, California, airport. The aircraft collided with trees in a dry marshy area off the departure end of the runway during the subsequent power off forced landing. The aircraft was operated by PDZ Aviation Flight School of Corona, California, and was engaged in a local area dual instructional flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and no flight plan was filed. The aircraft incurred substantial damage. Neither the certificated commercial pilot flight instructor nor the 9-hour dual primary student were injured. The flight originated at the Corona airport on the day of the mishap at about 1630 hours.

In his statement, the instructor reported that after about a 1- hour flight to practice primary flight maneuvers they returned to the airport for some touch-and-go traffic pattern operations. The instructor said that on the takeoff portion of the third touch-and-go, the engine quit when the aircraft was at about 200 feet above ground level (agl). There was insufficient runway remaining to affect a landing and the instructor set up a glide to a marshy area beyond the runway. The aircraft collided with trees and then nosed into the marsh.

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspectors examined the aircraft at the accident site and reported finding about 15 gallons of fuel distributed evenly in both fuel tanks.

After recovery from the accident site, the aircraft and engine were examined by an FAA airframe and powerplant mechanic. In his report, the mechanic said that visual inspection of the engine revealed no unusual conditions. Rotation of the crankshaft produced normal range compression in all cylinders and valve train continuity. Magneto timing was tested at 20 degrees on both, and rotation produced sparks at each spark plug.

An attempt was made to start the engine for a ground test run without success. The carburetor was then disassembled for inspection and found to contain about 60 percent water, dirt, and other unidentifiable contaminants. The carburetor was then reassembled and installed on the engine. The engine started on the first attempt, ran smoothly, and accelerated through full rpm with no hesitation.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page