The NTSB aviation accident database contains information from 1962 and later about
civil aviation accidents
and selected incidents
within the United
States, its territories and possessions, and in international waters. Generally,
report is available online within a few days of an accident.
information is added when available, and when the investigation is
completed, the preliminary report is replaced with a final
the accident and its probable cause. Full narrative descriptions may not be available
for dates before 1993, cases under revision, or where NTSB did not have primary
- Monthly lists - accidents sorted by date, updated daily.
- Investigations Nearing Completion - List of investigations
with estimated dates of publishing probable cause.
- Downloadable datasets - one complete dataset
for each year beginning from 1982, updated monthly in Microsoft Access 2000 MDB
format; this site also provides weekly "change" updates and complete documentation.
- GILS record - complete description of the
accident database, including definition of "accident" and "incident".
- FAA incident database - complete information
about incidents, including those not investigated by NTSB, is provided by the Federal
- Data & Information Products
- lists other sources of information about aviation accidents, including publications,
dockets, and press releases
This is the interactive search capability for the NTSB database, updated daily;
see the and data dictionary
before using the form for the first time.
Search the Aviation Accident Database
- On Jan. 8, 2001, dynamic access to the accident data repository was implemented.
Static files are no longer available.
- On Oct. 2, 2001, minor cases which do not fall under the definition of "accident"
or "incident" were removed from the database; these entries were previously identified
with "SA" in the accident number.
- On Sept. 18, 2002, data from 1962-1982 were added to the aviation accident information.
The format and type of data contained in the earlier briefs may differ from later
** - Do not use these fields as selection parameters if your date range includes
pre-1982 dates, as they did not exist prior to 1982 and their use may falsely limit
the data returned.
Switch to Monthly Lists