The National Transportation Safety Board today released an update on its investigation into the May 28 grade-crossing collision between a CSX locomotive and trash truck that led to a derailment and explosion in Rosedale, Md.
- NTSB investigators have been on scene since the day of the collision and are continuing to work with CSX Transportation and with all parties on the local, state and federal level.
- NTSB investigators have finished their work at the railroad crossing, derailment and explosion sites.
- The crash scene has been cleared and trains are running normally.
- Investigators are still on-site interviewing witnesses and continuing to gather and analyze records of all types regarding all aspects of the scene, the crash participants and materials.
- Investigators are trying to make arrangements to interview the driver of the truck in the coming days as he continues his recovery.
- Investigators are expected to wrap up the on-scene part of the investigation by Friday.
- Investigators have completed the truck inspection and removed some mechanical components for further testing and analysis.
- NTSB investigators have completed scanning the accident scene which will aid in computerized recreation and precise measurements.
- The NTSB is continuing to request videos and witness statements. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further investigative updates will be issued as events warrant. To be alerted to any updates or developments, please follow the NTSB on Twitter at twitter.com/ntsb.
Office of Public Affairs
490 L'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DC 20594
Eric M. Weiss