Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Aviation Accident

Quick Launch

NTSB Identification: ERA18LA192
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, July 14, 2018 in Stewartstown, PA
Aircraft: Schweizer 269D, registration: N411HU
Injuries: 2 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On July 14, 2018, about 1115 eastern daylight time, a Schweizer 269D Configuration A helicopter, N411HU, impacted the ground during approach to Shoestring Aviation Airfield (0P2), Stewartstown, Pennsylvania. The commercial pilot and one passenger sustained minor injuries, and the helicopter was substantially damaged. The helicopter was owned by Chesapeake Copters LLC, and operated by a private individual under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the personal flight which originated from Martin State Airport (MTN), Baltimore, Maryland, about 1040, and was destined for 0P2.

The pilot stated that he approached the eastern side of 0P2 to begin a normal approach to runway 24 with the wind from about 230° at about 8 to 10 knots. The landing approach was uneventful until he attempted to slow the helicopter. At an airspeed of about 10 to 20 knots about 15 to 20 feet above ground level, he began to apply left anti-torque pedal. The helicopter then started turning clockwise which he could not stop with additional left anti-torque pedal input. This turning accelerated rapidly until the helicopter was spinning in 360° circles. After 6 to 8 complete rotations, the spinning decreased, but it accelerated again until the helicopter impacted the ground. After impact, the pilot pulled the fuel cut-off, unbuckled his and the passenger's 4-point safety harness, and exited the helicopter. He dialed 911 and awaited the arrival of fire department personnel. He further stated that he did not recall hearing any audible alarms.

Postaccident examination of the helicopter will be performed at a later date.