Website Policies and Notices
- The NTSB Web site provides both internal and external links necessary or helpful for the presentation of agency information or the delivery of services in the proper performance of an agency function.
- The NTSB maintains internal links to the following NTSB-specific information:
- The agency's strategic plan and annual performance plans
- Descriptions of agency organizational structure, mission and statutory authority
- Information made available under the Freedom of Information Act
- Specific Web site privacy policies and policies with regard to the quality of information that the agency provides
- Summary statistical data about equal employment opportunity complaints filed with the agency and written notification of “Whistleblower” rights and protections as required by the No Fear Act of 2002
- The agency point of contact for small businesses as required by the Small Business Paperwork Relief Act of 2002
- Other cross-government portals or links required by law or policy
The NTSB staff evaluates all suggested links using the following criteria:
- Is the recommended Web site an official government-owned or supported Web site?
- Does the recommended Web site provide official government information or services?
- Does the recommended Web site complement existing information, products and services on the agency site?
- Is the recommended Web site accessible and applicable to a wide audience?
- Is the recommended Web site's content relevant, useful and authoritative for citizens, businesses and/or government officials?
- Does the recommended Web site's information appear to be accurate and current?
- Is the recommended Web site's approach to the privacy of personal information consistent with the government's privacy and security policies?
- Is the recommended Web site "user-friendly"?
- Does the recommended Web site meet one or more of the following "highly desirable" criteria?
- The Web site crosses agency or intergovernmental boundaries (e.g., fedforms.gov, students.gov and such);
- The Web site provides citizens, businesses and/or government officials with the information they need to interact directly with government organizations (e.g., clearly available telephone numbers, street addresses, e-mail addresses and instructions);
- The Web site provides citizens with information about service performance (e.g., AirNow and Ontime Airline Statistics); and/or
- The Web site provides community-level information and services (e.g., MapStats).
1. Links to Government Web sites
NTSB.gov can add a link to any government Web site that is publicly available unless the agency that owns the site directs the NTSB not to do so. Acceptable federal government-owned or government-sponsored Web site domains include .gov, .mil and .fed.us. NTSB.gov may also provide links to: quasi-government agencies and Web sites created by public sector/private sector partnerships; state and local government sites (e.g., www.maryland.gov); and some government-sponsored Web sites that end in .com, .org,.net, or.int (e.g., www.icao.int for the International Civil Aviation Organization).
2. Links to Non-Government Web sites
In rare instances, NTSB.gov links to Web sites that are not government-owned or government-sponsored if these Web sites provide government information and/or services in a way that is not available on an official government Web site. NTSB.gov provides these non-government Web sites as a public service only. The U.S. government neither endorses nor guarantees in any way the external organizations, services, advice, or products included in these Web site links. Furthermore, the U.S. government neither controls nor guarantees the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of the information contained in non-government Web site links. (See Disclaimer of Endorsement, below, for more information on this topic.)
3. Disclaimer of Endorsement
The information posted on the NTSB.gov Web site includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organizations. NTSB.gov provides these links and pointers solely for users' information and convenience. When users select a link to an outside Web site, they are leaving the NTSB.gov site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside Web site.
- The NTSB does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of information contained on a linked Web site.
- The NTSB does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked Web sites, and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer.
- The NTSB cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked Web sites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked Web site.
- The NTSB is not responsible for transmissions or correspondence users receive from linked Web sites.
- The NTSB does not guarantee that outside Web sites comply with Section 508 (Accessibility Requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.
4. Reciprocal Links
NTSB.gov links to government information according to our linking policy, regardless of whether the other Web site links to NTSB.gov. The agency does not engage in reciprocal linking. We invite any Web site to link to USA.gov and Espanol.gov, as these sites are the official web portals for the U.S. government.
5. Featured Links
NTSB.gov highlights links of special interest to wide audiences by temporarily posting them in a position of prominence on the Web site. Featured links may include: accident information; current topics on the minds of citizens, businesses or government officials; community-level services and information; cross-agency portals that enhance the public's interaction with government or are helpful to the public; and new links.
The policy of NTSB.gov strictly prohibits providing links to any Web site that exhibits hate, bias, or discrimination. Furthermore, the agency reserves the right to deny or remove any link that contains misleading information or unsubstantiated claims, or is determined to be in conflict with our mission or policies.