On July 26, 2013, about 1910 central daylight time, a Cessna 182S airplane, N820HP, impacted terrain while maneuvering near Tecumseh, Oklahoma. A postimpact fire ensured. The pilot, an Oklahoma Highway Patrol (OHP) trooper, sustained serious injuries. The airplane was substantially damaged. The airplane was registered to and operated by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a public use flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight, which was not operated on a flight plan. The flight originated from the University of Oklahoma Westheimer Airport (OUN), Norman, Oklahoma, about 1813.

The pilot was dispatched to assist OHP troopers and a local police department in the pursuit of an individual involved in a traffic accident. The driver had fled the scene after the accident and was thought to be hiding in a wooded area. The pilot reported that he arrived on-scene about 15 minutes after departing OUN. He established radio contact with an OHP trooper on the ground and informed the trooper that he had located the suspect. However, that OHP trooper was not located near the police officers, and the pilot did not have the ability to contact the police officers by radio.

The pilot observed the police officers walking in the wrong direction, away from the location of the vehicle driver. Without the ability to communicate with the police officers directly, the pilot overflew the officers and pointed in the direction of the vehicle driver. As the officers approached the location of the vehicle driver, they looked up at the airplane for further guidance. At that point, the pilot reduced engine power and entered a slow descending turn over the vehicle driver's location, at which time the police officers began walking into the adjacent tree area toward the individual. The pilot reported that about the same time, the airplane's aerodynamic stall warning sounded. He added that the left wing subsequently "stalled hard," and the nose of the airplane pitched down and started to rotate to the left. He responded by applying a wings level aileron control input and increased to full engine power. He maintained directional control with rudder control and was able to prevent the airplane from entering a spin; however, he was not able to fully recover from the stall and the airplane impacted the terrain.

A postaccident examination of the airplane, performed by Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspectors with the assistance of the airplane manufacturer, did not reveal any anomalies consistent with a preimpact failure or malfunction. Primary flight control continuity was confirmed from the cockpit controls to each control surface. The flap actuators were extended consistent with a 30-degree flap deflection. The left wing fuel tank contained approximately 7 gallons of a fluid consistent in appearance to 100 low lead aviation fuel. The right wing fuel tank had been consumed by the postimpact fire.

Records on file with the FAA indicated that a Horton STOL (short takeoff and landing) kit was installed on the accident airplane in March 2002. Drooped wing leading edges were observed installed on the airplane at the accident site.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page