On February 26, 2011, at 1932 central standard time, a Cessna 310K, N3816X, registered to and operated by the pilot, was substantially damaged when it collided with trees and impacted terrain 2.6 miles north-northeast of the Angleton/Texas Gulf Coast Regional Airport (LBX), Angleton, Texas. Night visual meteorological conditions (VMC) prevailed at the time of the accident. The business flight was being conducted under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91, and an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan had been filed. The pilot, the sole occupant on board the airplane, was seriously injured. The cross-country flight originated from San Angelo (SJT), Texas, at 1810, and was en route to LBX.

In a telephone interview with the pilot's wife, she said her husband had flown to San Angelo to attend a funeral, and was returning to Angleton when the accident occurred. She said he could not recall any details of the accident.

According to Lockheed Martin, the pilot telephoned the Fort Worth Contracted Flight Service Station (FCFSS) at 1704 and obtained an abbreviated weather briefing for a direct flight from SJT to LBX. Visual meteorological conditions were forecast along the route. The pilot was given the LBX terminal forecast (FT) that indicated a broken ceiling at 1,500 feet, visibility greater than 6 miles, and the wind from 170 degrees at 12 knots. After 1900, the ceiling was expected to remain broken but to lower to 1,000 feet, and visibility was expected to drop to 4 miles in mist. The pilot then filed an IFR flight plan. The briefing ended at 1713.

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) documents indicate the airplane proceeded to LBX, where the pilot requested and was cleared for the RNAV (area navigation) GPS (Global Positioning System) runway 17 instrument approach. Radar data retrieved by NTSB's Operational Factors Division revealed the airplane intercepted the inbound course and the projected 3-degree glideslope and descended 800 feet, at which point radar contact was lost. The wreckage was located in a wooded area about 1 mile east of the inbound course.

FAA aviation safety inspectors went to the accident site and examined the airplane. They reported finding no pre-impact failures or discrepancies with the airframe, engines, or systems. They also reported finding no evidence that the airplane struck anything in flight. In the pilot's accident report, he reported no mechanical malfunction or failures with the airplane or its systems.

Both engines were later examined. No abnormalities were found with either engine that would have precluded normal operation.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page