On September 10, 2010, about 1115 eastern daylight time, an Ayres Corporation S2R-G10, N2312Y, was substantially damaged when it impacted trees during a forced landing, following a loss of engine power near Doerun, Georgia. The certificated commercial pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the local flight, which originated from a private airstrip in Doerun, Georgia. The aerial application flight was conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 137.

According to the pilot, he was "finishing up" spraying a field and "doing clean up passes," when a vibration started and he heard a loud "whine." He observed that the exhaust gas temperature was above the temperature limit and was rising and almost simultaneously he observed that the indication on the torque meter was dropping. He then made a decision to make a precautionary landing in a pasture that adjoined the field that he was spraying. He landed in the pasture and struck several "large anthills" which caused the airplane to bounce up and become airborne each time. The airplane then overran the pasture and struck trees.


According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the pilot held commercial pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single-engine land. He reported 17,247.6 total hours of flight experience. His most recent application for an FAA second-class medical certificate was on February 16, 2010.


According to FAA and maintenance records, the airplane was manufactured in 1999. The airplane's most recent 100 hour inspection was completed on August 11, 2010. At the time of the accident, the airplane had accrued 4,481.6 total hours of operation.


The recorded weather at Southwest Georgia Regional Airport (ABY) Albany, Georgia, approximately 22 nautical miles northwest of the accident site, at 1053, included: wind 300 degrees at 4 knots, visibility 10 miles, sky clear, temperature 31 degrees C, dew point 21 degrees C, and an altimeter setting of 30.03 inches of mercury.


Examination of the accident site and airplane by an FAA inspector revealed that the airplane had come to rest after striking the trees. The wings were separated from their mounting locations, the fuselage was broken open at the firewall, and the engine had separated from its mounting location.


Examination of the engine revealed that the type and degree of damage was indicative of the engine's internal components being operational and in motion (rotating) during the impact with the ground. No preexisting failures or malfunctions were discovered during the examination.

The propeller reduction output assembly was found to be decoupled from the engine power group which was indicative of a propeller strike. Continuity was confirmed from the compressor to the aft turbine. All of the planetary gears were intact and the gearbox contained approximately 8 fluid ounces of oil which appeared clean. Aluminum spatter was also discovered on the second and third stage stator blades, which was indicative of ignition in the combustor being present during impact, and the torsion shaft was fractured from torsional overload at its forward end. Additionally, the fuel control unit was functional, the propeller governor was functional, and the inlet sensor was functional.


On September 14, 2010, during an interview with the NTSB, the pilot advised that when he decided to make a precautionary landing he "had a rush to judgment". He was "a little hot" (fast) on the approach, and he landed with a tailwind and could not get the airplane to stop before he hit the trees.

Requests for a follow up interview with the pilot went unanswered.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page