On June 5, 2010, about 1600 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150M, N2990V, was substantially damaged when it impacted terrain during a forced landing, following a partial loss of engine power during initial climb after takeoff, in Pahokee, Florida. The certificated flight instructor and certificated private pilot were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight which departed from Palm Beach County Glades Airport (PHK), Pahokee, Florida, destined for Palm Beach County Park Airport (LNA), Lantana, Florida. No flight plan was filed for the instructional flight conducted under Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to the flight instructor, during the accident flight he was giving the private pilot a flight review. The flight had originated at LNA where the airplane was based. It departed between 1420 and 1430, and then stayed in the traffic pattern for one circuit, after which, the private pilot performed a landing before proceeding to PHK. After arrival at PHK the private pilot performed a "soft field landing" on runway 35. After the landing, the airplane was then taxied back to runway 35 and the private pilot performed a "short field takeoff", made one circuit of the traffic pattern, and performed another "soft field landing" on runway 35. The airplane was then taxied to the ramp and was refueled. A total of 15 gallons of 100LL fuel was added. After fueling, a preflight inspection of the airplane was performed, and the fuel tanks and fuel strainer were checked for contaminants. None were found. Afterwards, the airplane was taxied to the runway where an engine run-up was performed. During the run-up when checking the right magneto, the rpm drop was approximately 200 rpm. The mixture was leaned, the engine was run-up, and then afterward, the rpm drop for the right magneto was less than 150 rpm.

The private pilot then performed a "short field takeoff" and applied full power and released the brakes. After taking off, at approximately 150 feet above mean sea level, the engine began to lose power. The engine was "running smoothly" but would not develop full power. Carburetor heat was applied, and the engine rpm increased slightly then decreased. The flight instructor then took control of the airplane and maneuvered the airplane towards a levee. He hoped to land on it but was unable to reach it. Instead he landed in sugar cane at the edge of a ditch. After making contact with the sugar cane, the airplane's nose gear separated from its mounting location. The airplane then yawed to the right, and the left wing tip made contact with the ground.


According to FAA and pilot records, the flight instructor held a commercial pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single-engine-land, multi-engine-land, and instrument airplane. His most recent application for a FAA first-class medical certificate was on February 10, 2010. He reported 587 total hours of flight experience.

According to FAA records and pilot records, the private pilot held a private pilot certificate with a rating for airplane single-engine-land. His most recent application for a FAA third-class medical certificate was on March 4, 2009. He reported 225 total hours of flight experience.


According to FAA records the airplane was manufactured in 1974. According to airplane maintenance records, the airplane's most recent annual inspection was completed on October 8, 2009. At the time of the inspection, it had accumulated 8000 total hours of operation.


A weather observation taken about 9 minutes after the accident, at Okeechobee County Airport (OBE), located approximately 30 nautical miles north of the accident site included; wind at 140 degrees at 7 knots, visibility 10 miles, scattered clouds at 4,400 feet, temperature 35 degrees C, Dew point 26 degrees C, and an altimeter setting of 29.98 inches of mercury.


Examination of the wreckage by Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspectors revealed that the left wing and left horizontal stabilizer were substantially damaged. There was no evidence of any preimpact malfunctions or failures of the engine, or airplane. The engine's crankshaft could be rotated by hand, and continuity was established throughout the drive train. Both magnetos were functional, the spark plugs appeared normal, and fuel was present in the fuel system.


At the time of the accident the temperature in the local area was 35 degrees C and the dew point was 26 degrees C. Application of these temperatures to a carburetor icing probability chart did not reveal any conclusive evidence that carburetor ice may have contributed to the accident.

Post recovery examination of the carburetor by a FAA certificated airframe and powerplant mechanic also did not reveal any anomalies. The throttle control worked smoothly, the mixture functioned properly, and there was gas in the float bowl. Further examination also revealed that the float assembly and the needle valve functioned properly, there were no contaminants in the carburetor, and there were no leaks in the gaskets.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page