On May 28, 2010, about 1230 Central Daylight Time, a kit-built, Vans RV-6A airplane, N226MH, sustained substantial damage when it collided with terrain following a loss of control, during an approach to the Pecan Plantation Airport (0TX1), Granbury, Texas. The airplane was registered to and operated by a private individual. The private pilot was fatality injured, and the passenger was seriously injured. The personal cross-country flight departed the Front Range Airport (FTG), Denver, Colorado, at an unknown time, and was operating under Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions (VFR) prevailed at the time of the accident.

Several witnesses reported that they saw the airplane enter the downwind pattern for 0TX1. During the final approach leg, the airplane’s left wing dropped and the airplane entered a steep descending bank, before impacting the terrain.

The responding Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector reported that fuel was present on site, and that all major components of the airplane were accounted for.

In a telephone interview with the NTSB Investigator in Charge (IIC), the passenger stated that she couldn’t recall details of the accident. However, she did recall that they were “slightly high” on the approach, and the pilot said, “no, no,” prior to the airplane impacting the trees.

The wreckage was recovered and transported to a secure facility. An examination of the wreckage was conducted on September 3, 2010, by the NTSB Investigator in Charge (IIC).

The Hobbs flight hour meter read 625.2 hours. Flight control continuity was established from the control stick to each of the respected flight control surfaces. Additionally, continuity was established from the rudder pedals to the rudder. The flap actuator was in the retracted position corresponding to flaps down (extended). An examination of the electrical fuses for the airplane revealed that the electrically driven fuel pump and strobes fuses were both “blown”.

A visual inspection of the engine failed to identify any pre-impact discrepancies. The Aero Sport Power, O-360 engine was equipped with an electronic ignition system. Both the mixture and throttle control linkages were attached to their respective attachment points on the carburetor. The fuel filter screen, located in the carburetor, appeared in good shape and was absent of any dirt or contaminates. The Hartzell, constant-speed, two-bladed propeller was broken off at the crankshaft flange; with 45-degree shear-lip edges. One of the blades was twisted, about a foot from the tip, towards the cambered side of the blade. The other blade appeared relatively straight but was heavily polished on the non-camber side, for about a foot near the tip. Both blades had leading edge nicks.

A review of the aircraft maintenance records revealed the last condition inspection was conducted on July 12, 2009, with an hour meter reading of 502.5 hours. Additionally, on January 24, 2010, the back-up battery was replaced at 570.1 hours.

The pilot held a private pilot license for airplane, single-engine land and instrument airplane. Additionally, the pilot held an experimental, repairman’s certificate. The pilot's third class medical was conducted on September, 2008. The flight log for the pilot was not located; however, the accident pilot reportedly had about 1,100 to 1,200 total hours and about 625 hours in the accident airplane.

The FAA Toxicology Accident Research Library, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, conducted toxicological testing. The pilot tested positive for Etomidate and Lidocaine. However, the autopsy conducted by the Office of Chief Medical Examiner, Tarrant County Medical Examiner District, Tarrant County, Texas noted; "documented evidence of medical intervention” on the pilot.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page