On April 7, 2010, about 1530 Pacific daylight time, a Cessna 170B tailwheel equipped airplane, N2629D, was substantially damaged during landing roll at the Columbia Airport (O22), Columbia, California. The airplane was registered to Blue Oak LLC., of Wilmington, Delaware, and operated by the pilot. The commercial pilot and his two passengers were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the personal flight. The local flight originated from O22 about 20 minutes prior to the accident.

The pilot reported that upon returning to O22 from the local practice area, he intended to conduct multiple full-stop landings. Prior to arriving at O22, the pilot obtained weather information from the local Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS) and noted the wind from 160 degrees at 6 knots. The pilot stated that he executed a three-point landing on runway 17 with no adverse results. The pilot taxied back to the departure end of runway 17 and proceeded to take off and remain within the airport traffic pattern. He configured the airplane for another full-stop landing by applying carburetor heat, selecting 20 degrees of flaps, and establishing an airspeed of 73 knots.

Upon reaching the touchdown area, the pilot "transitioned the aircraft into a three-point landing configuration while maintaining runway heading." During the landing roll, the airplane began to turn to the left and the pilot applied "a bit of right rudder for correction." The pilot reported that the airplane "…continued to turn to the right. I then immediately applied full power and left rudder with no result from either input. The aircraft continued to turn to the right and the left wingtip contacted the runway surface." Subsequently, the airplane exited the right side of the runway and nosed over, which resulted in structural damage to the empennage and wings.

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector revealed that flight control continuity was established from the cockpit controls to all primary flight control surfaces and were free of binding. Continuity from the throttle, mixture, and carburetor heat controls to the engine was obtained. The engine was intact and exhibited no evidence of catastrophic failure. The bottom spark plugs were removed and exhibited normal operating signatures. The crankshaft was manually rotated by hand using the propeller, and thumb compression was obtained on all cylinders in firing order. Spark was produced on all ignition leads when the crankshaft was rotated.

The carburetor remained attached to the engine and was intact. The mixture was placed in the full rich position, and when the throttle was advanced to the full open position, fuel was observed injecting into the carburetor throat. The carburetor fuel screen was free of debris. Residual fuel was drained from the carburetor float bowl and was free of debris.

No anomalies were observed with the engine or airframe that would have precluded normal operation.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page