On March 10, 2010, at 1539 central standard time, a Stump Davis D-2A amateur-homebuilt airplane, N4384N, registered to and operated by the pilot, was substantially damaged it nosed over while landing at Huber Airpark Civic Club LLC (E70), Seguin, Texas. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The personal flight was being conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 without a flight plan. The private pilot, the sole occupant on board the airplane, was seriously injured. The local flight originating at Seguin approximately 1445.

A witness, who knew the pilot, told an FAA inspector that when the pilot departed, the winds were calm. Approximately 45 minutes later, he saw the airplane return and make a low pass and land downwind on runway 17. He estimated the wind to be at 15 knots, gusting to 22 knots. The witness said the pilot made about three passes before making a downwind landing. He saw the airplane bounce three times, then "wing over" into the grass and nose over.

In a hospital telephone interview, the pilot told an FAA inspector that he had not flown the airplane for 10 months and he had a conditional inspection performed. On the day of the accident, he walked the length of the runway and checked the wind sock. He took off downwind. He checked the wind sock several times, but it didn't register to him the direction of the wind. After his departure the wind increased to an estimated 15 to 22 knots. When he returned to the airpark, he overflew the runway and checked the wind sock. Again, the direction of the wind did not register to him. He approached the runway in the downwind direction and tried to land. He noted the airplane was sinking and he went around, again checking the wind sock. Again he approached the runway from the downwind direction and again he began to sink. He made a second go-around. On the third attempt to land, the airplane struck the runway "hard" and bounced, bending the nose gear. He said he lost rudder control at this time and he bounced again hard, this time veering to the left off the runway. The airplane went in to the soft dirt and the left wing tip dug in to the ground and the airplane overturned. The pilot said he looked at the wind sock several times and the direction of the wind just did not register to him .

In his accident report, the pilot said he made a downwind takeoff. After flying in the local area, he returned to the airport to land. The airplane was traveling too fast on final approach and the pilot made a go-around. On the second landing attempt the airplane bounced, bending the nose gear and jamming the rudder. With the nose wheel cocked to the left, the airplane veered off the runway and nosed over. The pilot attributed the accident to his lack of "situational awareness. I did a downwind takeoff and landing."

Damage to the airplane consisted of a crushed roof, fuselage wrinkling, displaced ruddervator, and left wing leading edge buckling.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page