On March 3, 2010, at 1653 Pacific standard time, an experimental Muffett Quicksilver Sprint II, N6233V, sustained substantial damage following a loss of engine power and subsequent forced landing shortly after takeoff from the Buena Airport, Buena, Washington. The airplane, which is owned by the student pilot, was operated as a visual flight rules (VFR) personal flight under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91, when the accident occurred. The student pilot, the sole occupant of the airplane, sustained serious injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local flight that originated from Buena.

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Investigator-in-charge (IIC) on March 5, 2010, the student pilot stated he was practicing touch-and-go landings at the private airstrip. After approximately 10 landings, the pilot taxied the airplane back to the parking area where he met with a friend (the former owner of the airplane) and discussed the flight. After a short conversation the pilot taxied to the departure end of the runway and departed to the east. He reported that shortly after takeoff the engine lost power and he attempted to land in a nearby field. The airplane subsequently impacted terrain, which resulted in substantial damage to the fuselage and wing assembly. The pilot attributed the loss of engine power to a lack of fuel, stating that the airplane simply ran out of gas.

An acquaintance of the pilot (and former owner of the airplane) reported that he heard the airplane takeoff. He reported that during the initial climb, approximately 200 feet above ground level (agl), he heard the airplane's engine "quit" and looked up to see the airplane in a “stalling descent.” He reported that approximately 80 feet agl the airplane “broke over” and collided with terrain in a nose-low attitude. The acquaintance went to the accident site to assist the pilot. He reported that while at the site, he observed no fuel in the fuel tank, lines or filter. He further reported that the student pilot had run out of fuel on two previous occasions.

The pilot did not submit a Pilot/Operator Report, Form 6120.1. Multiple attempts to contact the pilot following the March 5 telephone conversation were not successful.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page