On November 7, 2009, about 1745 eastern standard time, a Lockwood Aircraft Air-cam, N32786, piloted by a private pilot, sustained substantial damage when it impacted the ground while approaching to land on runway 15 (2,750 feet by 110 feet, turf), at the Elliot's Landing Airport (O74), Mount Victory, Ohio. The personal flight was operating under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 and was not on a flight plan. The pilot, who was the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The flight originated from London, Ontario, Canada, at an undetermined time and was landing at the time of the accident.

It was reported that the pilot was returning from the Clamar Floats factory in London, Ontario, Canada, after having a set of amphibious floats installed on the airplane. The pilot’s final destination was the Mad River Airport, Tremont City, Ohio.

The airplane came to rest about 250 yards northeast of the approach end of runway 15. The location was consistent with the airplane having been on the base leg of the traffic pattern for runway 15.


The 56 year old pilot held a private pilot certificate with airplane single-engine and multiengine land ratings. The pilot also held a second class airman medical certificate issued August, 2008. The medical certificate stated that the pilot possess glasses for near and intermediate vision while exercising the privileges of his pilot certificate. The pilot reported 1,300 total flight hours on the application for that medical certificate.


The airplane was an experimental amateur-built twin-engine airplane powered by two Rotax 912 engines. The airplane had an open cockpit that seated 2 occupants, including the pilot, in a tandem seating arrangement. The airplane’s engines were positioned on the upper aft side of the strut-braced high-wing in a pusher configuration. The airplane was outfitted with Clamar amphibious floats.


At 1753, the weather reporting station at the Marion Municipal Airport (MNN), Marion, Ohio, about 21 nautical miles east of the accident site recorded the weather as: Wind 200 degrees at 9 knots; visibility 10 statute miles; clear skies; temperature 15 degrees Celsius (C); dew point 7 degrees C; altimeter setting 29.95 inches of mercury.


Elliot's Landing Airport was a privately owned airport that was open to the public. It had one grass runway, 15/33, that was 2,750 feet long and 110 feet wide. The airport had a restaurant on the airfield and it was reported that the pilot had flown to the airport and had eaten at the restaurant on previous occasions.


Three ground scars were located within 30 feet of the main wreckage and were consistent with right wing, fuselage nose, and left float impact.

All of the airplane's major components were contained within the immediate area of the main wreckage. The airplane came to rest inverted and had significant rearward and upward crushing of the fuselage nose. The section of the right float forward of the front strut attachment was bent upward. The forward section of the left float was separated at the forward strut attachment. The left wing was predominately intact. The right wing was crushed rearward and was folded underneath the fuselage. The aft fuselage had separated from the forward fuselage. The empennage remained attached to the aft fuselage and was intact. The breaks and resting position of the tail was consistent with the aft fuselage and empennage twisting clockwise and to the left as viewed from the rear of the airplane. The retractable landing wheels were in the up position. Control system continuity was verified during the examination of the airplane. No pre-impact defects were found in relation to the airframe or its control system.

The right engine was separated from the airplane. Its composite propeller exhibited separation of all three blades about 12 inches from the propeller’s rotational axis. The separated blades were embedded into slashes in the ground beneath the airplane. Propeller damage was evident on the right wing structure and fabric covering. The left engine remained attached to the left wing. The left propeller was intact. The carburetor and all accessories were still attached to the engine and no damage was evident. The left engine was rotated by hand and compression was felt on all cylinders. No defects were found that would have prevented normal operation with regard to the left engine.


An autopsy of the pilot was performed on November 8, 2009, at the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office, Dayton, Ohio. The cause of death was listed as blunt force injuries of the head, torso, and extremities.

A Final Forensic Toxicology Fatal Accident Report, prepared by the Federal Aviation Administration listed the following findings:

0.041 (ug/ml, ug/g) Diphenhydramine detected in Blood
Diphenhydramine detected in Urine
Ibuprofen detected in Urine

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page