The 19-year-old private pilot and three passengers in a Cessna 172P, which had 40 gallons of fuel on board, were on final approach to runway 36 after a 30 minute flight. The pilot reported that everything "seemed normal" until the airplane was about 50 feet above ground level (agl). He reported, "It felt like wind gusts were pushing me off the runway to the left." The pilot executed a go-around by pushing in the throttle, raising the flaps 1 notch, and gradually raising the airplane's pitch attitude. He reported that the airplane did not respond and it kept losing altitude. He reported that the airplane stalled and subsequently nosed over when the propeller impacted the terrain about 20 feet from the runway. The pilot and passengers exited the airplane through the front windshield without injuries.

The airport manager reported that the airport's office was closed since it was after 5 PM, and he was out walking the dogs. He observed the airplane approaching from the south and landing on runway 36 even though the winds were out of the south. He reported that pilot attempted to go-around when the airplane was about 15 feet agl. He reported that the airplane stalled as it attempted to climb at low airspeed with a tailwind component. The airplane impacted the terrain and nosed over. The occupants had already exited the airplane when he arrived with a fire extinguisher. When he got back to the office, he noted that the winds were 220 degrees at 12 knots. The time of the accident was 1710. He reported that the airport's wind "T" and windsock were visible to the pilot.

The pilot reported that the accident could have been prevented had he done the following:

1. Known the exact weather and forecast weather en route and at the destination.

2. Thoroughly calculated the Weight and Balance for the flight.

3. Made quicker and smarter decisions.

4. Made sure the Carburetor Heat was OFF on final approach.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page