On June 24, 2008, at 1515 central daylight time, a single-engine Beech A36, N28HN, was substantially damage when it made a forced landing shortly after it took off from Runway 18 at the Johnson County Executive Airport (OJC), in Olathe, Kansas. The certified private pilot sustained minor injuries. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed for the local flight conducted under 14 Code of Federal Regulations.

In a telephone interview, the pilot stated that he had not flown the airplane for six weeks and was planning to stay in the local traffic pattern and practice take offs and landings. After a thorough preflight, he attempted to start the engine. The pilot said that it was "hard starting" the engine, but he attributed it to the airplane not being flown for several weeks. After three or four attempts to start the engine it finally started. The pilot let the engine "warm-up" longer than usual before departing and noted noting unusual during the engine run-up. The pilot said the engine had "plenty of power" and he departed Runway 18. When the airplane reached an altitude of approximately 300-400 feet above the ground the engine "coughed" and stopped producing power. The pilot could not recall if he attempted to hit the auxiliary pump or not, since he was focused on maintaining control of the airplane. He made a forced landing to a clearing on airport property.

A witness was waxing his airplane on the west ramp at the airport when he heard an airplane engine "misfiring." He looked up and saw the accident airplane in it's initial climb off the runway. He said, "The plane's engine was sputtering, as the pilot tried to gain altitude. The plane was not climbing. It looked to me, like the airplane stalled, causing the left wing to dip. Because of the runway grade I did not see the impact." The witness then contacted the control tower to report the accident. They did not respond, and shortly after he heard the pilot of the accident airplane report that he was okay, but the airplane was damaged.
A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) operations inspector arrived on-scene within 45 minutes of the accident and performed an examination of the airplane. He stated that the airplane's left main gear was pushed up through the left wing and the entire airframe was twisted both laterally and longitudinally. Both fuel bladders were intact and each tank was filled with what appeared to be 100LL aviation gasoline. The fuel selector was set to the right tank and was fully engaged in the detent. The mixture was in the full rich position and the gear handle was in the down and locked position.

The engine was examined by an FAA certified airframe and power plant mechanic on August 5, 2008. According to the mechanic, fuel was drained from both fuel tanks and was absent of water and debris. The fuel pump was removed and the drive coupling was intact. The fuel screen was absent of debris. Pressure was applied to the fuel system and the fuel selector valve functioned normally on both the left and right positions. The electric fuel pump was tested and positive flow to all fuel nozzles was noted.

The propeller was removed from the engine. The engine was then rotated via the crankshaft and compression was established on each cylinder. The ignition leads were removed and spark was noted to all leads during the compression check. The induction system could not be examined due to impact damage.

The pilot held a private pilot certificate for airplane single-engine land and reported a total of approximately 668.7 hours, of which 12.7 were in this make and model airplane.

Weather at the airport at 1532 was reported as wind from 200 degrees at 7 knots, visibility 10 miles, clear skies, temperature 84 degrees Fahrenheit, dewpoint 68 degrees Fahrenheit, and a barometric pressure setting of 30.05 inches of Mercury.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page