On September 21, 2007, about 1305 eastern daylight time, a Temco GC-1B (Globe Swift), N2455B, was substantially damaged during a forced landing, after it experienced a loss of engine power during the initial climb after takeoff from the New Smyrna Beach Municipal Airport (EVB), New Smyrna Beach, Florida. The certificated commercial pilot was killed. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan had been filed for the personal flight conducted under 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the pilot purchased the airplane in January 2005. After purchase, the airplane was flown to EVB, where it remained until the date of the accident, when the pilot intended to reposition the airplane to Edgewater, Florida. Prior to takeoff, the pilot added 6 gallons of fuel to the main fuel tank, and subsequently departed runway 11, a 4,319-foot-long, 100-foot-wide, asphalt runway. The airplane experienced a loss of engine power during the initial climb after takeoff, and the pilot attempted a forced landing to a grassy area, parallel to runway 2.

During the landing, the airplane "cart-wheeled," and impacted trees. The forward portion of the fuselage, forward of the main spar, was completely separated.

Examination of the airplane by an FAA inspector revealed the fuel selector was placed in the main tank position. There was no evidence of any usable fuel present in both the left and right wing fuel tanks, which were compromised. Examination of the main fuel tank vent line revealed that it was completely obstructed by a "mud dauber" nest. No other discrepancies with the engine or airframe were noted.

The FAA inspector added that the airplane had not been flown since its most recent annual inspection, which according to maintenance records, was performed on January 19, 2007.

The pilot reported 16,520 hours of total flight experience on his most recent application for an FAA third-class medical certificate, which was issued on November 29, 2006.

An autopsy was performed on the pilot by the Volusia and Seminole County Medical Examiner’s Office, Daytona Beach, Florida, on September 25, 2007. The autopsy report revealed the cause of death as "blunt force head trauma."

Toxicological testing was conducted on the pilot at the FAA Toxicology Accident Research Laboratory, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, with no anomalies noted.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page