On March 8, 2007 at 1130 central standard time, a single-engine Cessna T210R airplane, N766DP, collided with a single-engine Cessna 172K airplane, N79286, while executing a go-around on runway 17 at the Boerne Stage Field Airport (5C1), near Boerne, Texas. The Cessna 172K sustained substantial damage to the left horizontal stabilizer, while the Cessna T210R reported minor damage to the propeller blades. Neither the pilot of the Cessna 172K, his passenger, nor the pilot of the Cessna T210R reported any injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and flight plans were not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 local flights.

The 9,100-hour airline transport rated pilot of the Cessna 172K, N79286, stated in the Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report (NTSB Form 6120.1) that upon turning downwind for runway 17 he announced on the UNICOM his intentions to perform a touch and go. He stated that he observed the Cessna 210 on downwind to his right and perceived that the T210R "initiated a left turn to the west as though to depart the traffic pattern." The Cessna 172 pilot added that when on final approach, while approximately a quarter of a mile from the runway, he heard the pilot of the Cessna 210 call his position on final approach for runway 17. After touching down and preparing for takeoff on the touch and go, he heard the Cessna 210 pilot announced on the UNICOM that he was executing a go-around and subsequently "called on the radio to advise him again that I was doing a touch and go." While climbing away from the runway at approximately 50 feet above ground level he "heard what I thought was a large bird strike." After assessing the damage to the airplane, he executed another closed traffic pattern and landed without further incident.

The 1,440-hour instrument rated private pilot of the Cessna T210R, N766DP, stated in the Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report (NTSB Form 6120.1) that he announced his departure from runway 17 on UNICOM but heard no other radio calls on that frequency until "approximately one second before we collided." He further reports that he announced his turns to crosswind and downwind for runway 17. While midfield on the downwind leg, he noticed "a Cessna going west to east about 1.5 to 2 miles ahead of me" and figured the traffic was traversing the area and not planning to land. The pilot continued his right hand pattern turning to base and final while reporting each turn on UNICOM. Once on final approach the pilot saw the Cessna 172K on short final and "believed we had plenty of separation for him to land and exit the runway well before I landed." He reports that at this point he has heard no transmissions from the 172K on UNICOM. After the 172K landed the pilot states that "it became obvious that I was overtaking him too quickly to allow him to exit the runway before I landed" and initiated a go-around at the approach end of the runway. He announced his go-around on UNICOM stating he was "going around for the Cessna on the runway." As he was climbing out on the go-around he heard the 172K state "touch and go" and "almost instantaneously the C-172 rose from below and filled my windshield directly in front of me." The pilot reports making an evasive descending left turn to avoid the 172K, but "heard a brief 'clunk' as he passed above me."

Following the collision, the Cessna T210R pilot contacted the Cessna 172K to confirm that he was alright and offered to check out his landing gear for damage. He stated that the "gear looked OK" and both aircraft continued around the pattern to land. Each airplane landed without further incident and taxied to parking. At a later time while on the ground, the pilots discussed the accident. As reported by the Cessna T210R pilot, the Cessna 172K pilot stated that "he had heard my radio calls on final, but 'thought you were way out'." The T210R pilot further recalls that the 172K pilot "indicated he had been making radio calls" but heard none of them until his touch and go call just before the collision.

A witness on the ground at the airport reported that he first saw the Cessna 172 about mid field initiating a climb out and then seconds afterwards saw a second airplane, the Cessna 210, at a lower altitude also initiating a climb out. The witness stated that the T210R was rapidly gaining speed on the 172K and climbed right into the 172K. He continued to observe both airplanes, unsure of whether they had collided, until each made a successful landing at the airport.

The Boerne Stage Field Airport lies within Class G (uncontrolled) airspace, does not have an operational control tower, and the UNICOM frequency is not monitored or recorded.

Weather reported 30 minutes prior to the mishap from San Antonio Airport (KSAT), approximately 16 miles to the southeast was: Few clouds at 3,500 feet, scattered clouds at 25,000 feet, visibility 10 statute miles, wind from 200 degrees at 8 knots, temperature 21 degrees Celsius, dew point of 12 degrees Celsius, with an altimeter setting of 30.16 inches of Mercury.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page