On December 22, 2005, about 1300 Alaska Standard time, a wheel-equipped Taylorcraft F-19 airplane, N3615T, sustained substantial damage by impact and postimpact fire when it collided with trees during takeoff initial climb from a remote area on Montague Island, located about 18.5 miles east of Chenega Bay, Alaska. The airplane was being operated as a visual flight rules (VFR) cross-country personal flight under Title 14, CFR Part 91, when the accident occurred. The airplane was operated by the pilot. The private certificated pilot, the sole occupant, received minor injuries. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed in the area of the accident. No flight plan was filed for the pilot's intended destination of Seward, Alaska.

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator-in-charge (IIC), on December 27, the pilot reported that he landed on the eastern shore of Montague Island on December 20, near a cabin at Beach River, to retrieve hunting equipment left there from a previous trip. He left his itinerary with his spouse, and had a satellite telephone for communication. He was unable to get his satellite phone to work, and he was subsequently reported overdue to the Federal Aviation Administration on December 22. Search aircraft from the U.S. Coast Guard spotted the pilot and his airplane on Montague Island on December 22, as he was leaving to check the weather conditions toward Seward, Alaska. The Coast Guard then departed the area.

The pilot stated that after his initial flight to check the visibility on December 22, he landed and packed his hunting equipment and prepared to depart a second time. The pilot indicated that the weather conditions at the time consisted of a broken ceiling about 1,000 feet, with a visibility of about 3 miles. He departed toward the southwest from an area that was about 950 feet long, and 50 feet wide. He reported that during the initial climb, the airplane drifted to the left, and the left wing collided with trees about 20 feet above the ground. The airplane pivoted to the left, and descended nose down to the ground. A postaccident fire further damaged the airplane. The pilot said he received minor injuries to his face and nose. He returned to the cabin and waited until a Coast Guard helicopter picked him up on December 23.

In the Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report (NTSB Form 6120.1) submitted by the pilot, the pilot reported that there was no mechanical malfunction/failure.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page