On March 18, 2005, approximately 1710 central standard time, a Cessna 172M single-engine airplane, N91505, was substantially damaged when it impacted trees during a forced landing following a reported loss of engine power while on final approach to the David Wayne Hooks Airport (DWH), near Spring, Texas. The private pilot and passenger were not injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. The 18-nautical mile cross-country flight originated from the Lone Star Executive Airport (CXO), near Conroe, Texas, approximately 1650, and was destined for DWH.

The 450-hour pilot reported in the Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report (NTSB Form 6120.1/2) that after a non-eventful flight he was cleared to land on runway 17R (7,009-feet long and 100-feet wide asphalt runway) at the David Wayne Hooks Airport. During the landing approach the pilot noted that the airplane's altitude was high and the indicated airspeed was high, so he pulled the engine back and extended the flaps to the 20 degree position. After turning on final approach to the runway, the pilot applied 10 more degrees of flaps, and then noticed that the airplane "began sinking at a fast rate." Subsequently, the engine lost power and the pilot initiated a forced landing. During the forced landing, the airplane struck the tops of trees, nosed over, and impacted terrain before coming to rest in a nose-low attitude.

At 1653, the Automated Surface Observing System at DWH reported wind from 200 degrees at 13 knots gusting to 19 knots, visibility 10 statute miles, clear sky, temperature 22 degrees Celsius, dew point 9 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting of 29.81 inches of Mercury.

A review of the Carburetor Icing Probability Chart revealed that a the time of the engine loss of power, the airplane was operating within the "Serious Icing at Glide Power" range.

Examination of the airplane by an Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, who responded to the accident site, revealed that the airplane came to rest nose low in a heavily wooded area. The leading edge of both wings was crushed aft, and the engine was partially separated from the engine firewall. Fuel was observed in both wing fuel tanks.

Examination of the Lycoming 0-320-E2D engine by an FAA inspector revealed that the carburetor control at the air box functioned normally, and compression was noted on all four cylinders. No mechanical anomalies were noted during the examination.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page