On March 7, 2005, about 1900 Pacific standard time, a Cessna 152, N65579, registered to a private individual and flown by the pilot as a 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight, experienced a loss of engine power followed by a forced landing to a road near Covington, Washington. During the emergency descent for landing, the aircraft collided with trees. Visual night meteorological conditions prevailed at the time. The aircraft was substantially damaged and the private pilot, the sole occupant, was not injured. The flight departed from Auburn, Washington, about 30 minutes prior to the accident.

During a telephone interview, the pilot reported that he had landed at Auburn to drop off his passenger and was returning to Yakima, Washington. The pilot stated that after departure and climbing through 5,000 feet, he heard a noise. He continued to climb to altitude, and the noise appeared to have stopped, but he noticed that the oil temperature was increasing. The pilot enrichened the mixture and the oil pressure suddenly dropped. The pilot turned back to Auburn, and when about eight miles from the airport, he heard a "knocking" noise, then the engine lost power. The pilot could not locate the airport, so he opted to make an off airport landing to a road. During the maneuver for landing, the right wing collided with trees, substantially damaging the outboard about five feet of wing structure.

On March 9, 2005, Inspectors from the Federal Aviation Administration, Seattle, Washington, Flight Standards District Office, inspected and tore down the engine. The inspector reported that engine oil was present on the belly of the fuselage from the nose to the tail. Approximately 20 gallons of fuel was present in the wing fuel tanks. The forward crankshaft seal was only partially seated in the nose of the engine case. The lower numbers 1 and 4 spark plugs were removed and showed signs of lead fowling. The numbers 3 and 4 primer lines were found loose at the cylinder. The numbers 1 and 3 connecting rods failed and the numbers 2 and 4 connecting rod bearing material was melted and squeezed between the rod cap and the crankshaft. The engine case halves displayed several holes. The number 2 cylinder cracked the case around the cylinder base and was attached to the engine by two studs.

The pilot was asked to provide the maintenance logbooks for the airframe and engine. To this date, the pilot has not complied nor has he completed the National Transportation Safety Board Pilot Operator Aircraft Accident Report Form 6120.1/2.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page