On November 21, 2004, about 1525 eastern standard time, a Cessna 172S, N967SA, piloted by a student pilot, sustained substantial damage during a hard landing on runway 30 (5,400 feet by 100 feet, dry asphalt) at the Anderson Municipal Airport-Darlington Field (AID), near Anderson, Indiana. The solo instructional flight was operating under 14 CFR Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The pilot reported that a visual flight rules flight plan was filed and that he sustained no injuries. The flight originated from the South Bend Regional Airport, near South Bend, Indiana, at 1400.

The pilot's accident report stated:

I approached AID 30 runway per instructions from tower.
On initial final I was high relative to glide slope indicator
showing 4 white lights. At that time airspeed was about
75 kias (faster than desired 68), flaps were at 30, and
engine rpms were 1300- 1400 (below target, with intent to
bring plane to glide slope). I held nose up to slow plane.
These tactics had the plane at 70-72 kias and on glide slope
one or two markers out from threshold. I expected that I
would have to arrest downward momentum more than usual,
so I set my touchdown point further down the runway to the
first bars on the runway. I heard the stall horn before initial
contact with the runway. The intention was to bleed the
excess speed and momentum sacrificing runway distance as
the runway was 5400 feet.

Given the downward momentum and the speed, I expected
the first bounce and its magnitude, which I estimated to be
1-2 feet. I maintained the pitch and flair for the second
contact. I heard the stall horn before second contact.

I was surprised by the magnitude of the second bounce, which
I estimated to be 5-6 feet. I added power to flatten the
porpoise-condition, and retained the yoke in position. There
was a brief delay in moving one hand from the yoke to the
throttle plus the delay in recognition of the magnitude of the
bounce and porpoising effect. However, it appears to me that
at the time I added power, I was already in the downward arc
of the porpoise. Adding power did little in that instant but
drive the front down faster before the elevators could provide
lift. I felt like I had a hard three-point landing or had struck
the nose wheel first.

I believe the propeller struck during the third contact, but I
was not aware of it having happened then.

The bounce from that contact was back to 1-2 feet reflecting
the countermeasures of increased throttle and yoke/pitch that
I had already put in place. The fourth contact was the final
and I continued to roll.

The Anderson tower appears to have been unaware of any
incident (other than possibly a sloppy landing) because he
simply instructed me to the taxi way and ramp.

It was not until I stopped at Law Aviation and shutdown the
engine that I noticed the bent prop. The bend was
approximately 3" long on both ends and pointed in the
direction of the cockpit/cowling. Neither I nor the line man
who directed me in to the T, noticed any different engine
sounds, or upon further inspection, other damage.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page