On October 26, 2004, at 1220 central daylight time, an experimental amateur-built Kramer Glasair III, N6158N, was substantially damaged during a forced landing on runway 29 (3,800 feet by 100 feet, concrete) following a loss of engine power at Schaumburg Regional Airport (06C), Schaumburg, Illinois. The personal flight was being conducted under 14 CFR Part 91 without a flight plan. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed. The pilot reported no injuries. The local flight originated from 06C about 1210.

In his written statement, the pilot reported he was flying in the traffic pattern when the engine lost power. He noted that he had completed one takeoff and landing prior to the accident. He stated that shortly after the second takeoff, as he began a turn to crosswind, the engine began "detonating and misfiring." The pilot reported that he immediately turned downwind, at which time the engine lost power completely. He "banked sharply left" in order to set up for a forced landing.

The pilot stated: "Approaching final to [runway] 29 I began extending the landing gear. I then realized I was [too] fast and [too] far down the runway and retracted the gear thinking I would be better off with a belly in landing. The plane touched down over halfway down the runway, skidded down the remaining pavement, onto the grass and came to rest against the fence."

The pilot reported that he initially attempted to determine the cause of the problem. However, due to the aircraft's low altitude he quickly focused on setting up for the forced landing. He stated that he did not recall the position of the fuel selector prior to takeoff or at the time of the loss of power. He noted that he did move the fuel selector while troubleshooting, but did not recall to which position. He commented that his training was to turn the fuel off in the event of an emergency landing.

The pilot estimated the fuel load as 25 gallons prior to the flight. He stated that the fuel level in the main tank was verified during preflight inspection. He noted that the aircraft had an auxiliary fuel tank, which he did not normally use. He recalled that the auxiliary tank gauge indicated about half full prior to takeoff. He commented that he usually kept 4 or 5 gallons in the tank. He reported the auxiliary fuel system was completely separate from the main system.

An individual from the fixed base operator was on-scene after the accident. He reported that a fence post had impaled the right wing. He noted that the left wing had also contacted a fence post and was damaged. He stated that the main fuel tank was compromised and that he observed fuel at the scene.

This individual stated that he observed the fuel selector in the "AUX" position. He noted that the auxiliary fuel did not appear to be compromised and no fuel was observed in the tank. He added that the magneto and master switches were "ON."

A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector conducted a post-accident examination. Engine control continuity was confirmed. No anomalies related to the engine were observed. No fuel was observed at the distributor valve inlet or the throttle body inlet when the fuel lines were disconnected. In addition, no fuel was observed in the filter chamber in the throttle body. The gascolator was disassembled. A small amount of fuel, estimated as a few drops, was present. No fuel was observed in the auxiliary fuel tank. The auxiliary fuel tank appeared to be intact.

FAA records indicate that the accident pilot was the builder and sole owner of the aircraft. He reported 2,237 hours total flight time and 306 hours flight time in Glasair III aircraft. He reported that the accident aircraft had accumulated 306 hours total flight time.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page