On October 16, 2004, about 1710 eastern daylight time, a Cirrus Design Corp. SR22, N555MN, piloted by a commercial pilot, sustained substantial damage on impact with a fence when the airplane departed the end of runway 18 (1,800 feet by 85 feet, wet turf) during a landing at Grindstone Air Harbor Airport (29C), near Port Austin, Michigan. The business flight was operating under 14 CFR Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The pilot reported that he filed a Visual Flight Rules flight plan and that he sustained no injury during the accident. The flight originated from Oakland/Troy Airport (7D2), near Troy, Michigan, at 1640.

The pilot stated:

I was returning from 7D2 and was taking the airplane
to 29C. The airplane is normally based at BAX and I
was advised on 10-14-04 that our hanger space wasn't
going to be available so it was decided to take the
airplane to 29C to put it in the hanger. While
beginning to prepare to land on the airport's runway
18, I took note of the wind and direction and
determined it alright to land although I knew I was
going to have to land a little faster than normal
because of the gusty winds. On final, nearing
landing and at treetop level of the western runway
boundary, I encountered a wind gust from the
southwest that made me add power. When I recovered,
I had picked up about 5-10 kts of more airspeed. I
continued to land because I was now close to the
runway. Once I touched down and rolled out a little
bit, I began to touch the brakes. I noticed that the
plane was wanting to skid, evidentially because the
grass was damp. I began to get concerned whether there
was going to be enough runway to finish the landing. I
was also concerned that there may not be enough runway
left to takeoff due to gusty winds and power lines at
the end of the runway. I than chose to remain
committed to the landing and began heavy braking that
was resulting in skidding. I now had to decide if I was
going to continue toward the runway end fence, or the
hanger or an unlevel farm field that parallels the east
side of the runway. I decided to steer for the fence
and I pulled the mixture to [Idle Cut Off] and then shut
off the fuel. Just before the left wing hit the eastern
runway end fence, I turned the battery switches off.
After I got stopped, I got out and surveyed the damage.
Damaged on the airplane was the left wing, prop, front
cowling, right wing tip and a scratched nose gear. The
runway end fence was obviously damaged also. I then
removed the airplane from the fence and caused a little
more damage to the existing damage. The airplane was
then put into the hanger.

Since I began flying this airplane on 3 June 2004, I have
logged 91.9 hrs in it. 6.6 of those hours were with a
instructor from Metroline Aviation at 7D2. I have made
over 100 landings in this airplane and about 30 of them
were at 29C.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page