On March 8, 2003, at 1315 eastern standard time, a Beech 23, N6995Q, was substantially damaged during a landing at Cincinnati - Blue Ash Airport (ISZ), Cincinnati, Ohio. The certificated private pilot/owner, a second pilot, and a passenger were not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight which originated at Virgil I. Grissom Municipal Airport (BFR), Bedford, Indiana. No flight plan was filed for the personal flight which was conducted under 14 CFR Part 91.

According to the owner of the airplane, he and the second pilot had completed a flight from Cincinnati to Bedford, during which, the owner was seated in the left seat and the second pilot was in the right seat. After landing at Bedford, the airplane was refueled and the pilots changed seats. The owner stated that he remained pilot-in-command during the return flight from Bedford to Cincinnati, even though the second pilot was manipulating the controls.

Upon arrival in Cincinnati, the second pilot entered the traffic pattern and prepared for a landing on runway 24. He added two notches of flaps, and maintained an approach speed of 80 mph as the airplane crossed the runway threshold. About 20 feet above the ground, the second pilot initiated a flare, and the airplane "dropped straight down" and impacted the runway.

The owner reported that the pilots did not obtain a weather briefing or check the winds from the ASOS or AWOS reporting systems on the field, prior to landing. The owner estimated the winds were from 220 degrees at 10-15 knots, gusting to about 20 knots. He also reported no mechanical anomalies with the airplane, and that he had 138 hours of flight experience, with 43 hours in make and model.

The second pilot reported that he intended to "land long" on runway 24, due to the "turbulent wind" on final approach. However, just after crossing the threshold, the airplane "fell straight down," and impacted the runway. The second pilot also stated that the approach speed of the airplane was about 80 mph; however, he felt he should have added more power due to the wind conditions. The second pilot reported 70 hours of flight experience, 6 of which were in make and model.

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector revealed substantial damage to both wings, the landing gear, and the propeller.

Weather reported at an airport 9 miles to the south, at 1253, included winds from 190 degrees at 13 knots, 10 miles visibility, and clear skies.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page