On July 21, 2002, at 1537 mountain daylight time, a Cessna 182R, N6271N, owned and operated by the Civil Air Patrol (CAP), was substantially damaged during a hard landing at Centennial Airport, Englewood, Colorado. The pilot-in-command (PIC), a safety pilot (SP), and a pilot rated-passenger serving as a scanner escaped injury. Day visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan had been filed for the public use cross-country flight being operated under Title 14 CFR Part 91. The flight originated from Canon City, Colorado, approximately 1455.

The following is based on an accident report submitted by the PIC, a CAP mission check pilot. As the flight neared its destination, the SP obtained Centennial Airport's ATIS (automatic terminal information service) information Papa that indicated the wind was from 030 degrees at 9 knots, with gusts to 15 knots. The SP then contacted Denver approach control and requested a practice ILS (instrument landing system) approach to runway 35R. The PIC was vectored to intercept the localizer just outside Casse LOM (compass locator outer marker). The initial approach was made using 10 degrees of flaps and 90 KIAS (knots indicated airspeed). After glideslope capture, flaps were lowered to 20 degrees and speed was reduced to 80 KIAS. Throughout the approach, the airplane was flown "1-2 dots above the glide slope." At decision height, the PIC removed his foggles (vision restricting device) and transition to a visual approach. He reduced power slightly to facilitate his descent, slowed to 75 KIAS, and flared. "Apparently a slight gust occurred," he wrote, and the nose rose slightly. He added a little power and held the attitude. The airplane descended "very rapidly" and the pilot thought he pulled back on the control yoke to arrest the descent. The airplane landed hard, bounced, and came down "very hard" on the nose wheel. He applied full power and the airplane began drifting to the left of the runway. The SP "requested" and took control of the airplane and returned it to the runway centerline (in the CAP report, the SP said, "I've got it," the PIC said, "You got it," and the SP took control of the airplane). When the airplane touched down, it veered to the left, departed the runway, and skidded to a halt.

The following is based on the accident report submitted by the SP, a CAP mission pilot. The SP said the approach was normal, and the airplane touched down and bounced. "The bounce didn't seem too bad or unusual," the SP wrote, but the airplane climbed "a lot in a very nose high attitude (like a bad balloon)." Then the ground came up "really fast followed by a very hard impact." There was "only runway visible in the windshield." The airplane became airborne again as engine power was increased and it drifted over the grass on the left side of the runway. The PIC and the SP "had a positive exchange of the controls." She thinks the PIC said, "You got it?" and the SP replied, "I got it." The SP maneuvered the airplane back over the runway and made a crosswind landing, touching down on the right wheel first. When the left wheel touched, the airplane veered to the left, skidded onto the grass, and came to an "abrupt" halt.

The safety pilot included with her statement a diagram showing the point where the airplane touched down, propeller strike marks in the asphalt, and the point where the airplane went off the side of the runway. Also included were CAP Form 104, Mission Flight Plan/Briefing Form, and COWG Form 1, Aircraft Flight Record. Both forms listed the pilot-in-command and passengers.

The Civil Air Patrol conducted its own investigation of the accident and made available copies of those statements submitted by the pilots and witnesses, and a sketch of the mishap site.

In addition the left main, nose gear, and propeller damage, the firewall was buckled and the left wing leading edge was crushed.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page