On November 10, 2001, at 1629 central standard time, a Cessna 182A, N3916D, piloted by a private pilot, sustained substantial damage during a forced landing when it impacted trees and terrain 3 miles west of the Wahoo Municipal Airport (AHQ), Wahoo, Nebraska. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The personal flight was being conducted on a visual rules flight plan under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91. The pilot sustained minor injuries. The cross-country flight originated at Denver, Colorado, at 1215 mountain standard time, and was en route to Omaha, Nebraska.

In his written statement, the pilot said, "At the time I was just Northeast of the Lincoln [Nebraska] area, I requested from Lincoln approach a reduction in altitude from 7,500 to 5,000 feet. They stated that I was cleared to descend to appropriate VFR altitudes. I began to begin to reduce power to set up a 500 [feet] per minute descent rate, and experienced immediate engine failure. I again contacted Lincoln approach and notified them that I had a problem and I may have even mentioned a possible fuel problem." The pilot said he received vectors to AHQ. "A few moments later, I realized that the airport was not an obtainable landing site, I informed Lincoln approach that I could not make it to the airport and that I was going down." The pilot said he spotted a plowed field off to his left and made a turn toward it for landing. The pilot then noticed a row of trees between him and the field. "As airspeed and altitude rapidly diminished, I realized that I would need to put the aircraft down prior to reaching the trees." The pilot said, "My position was ... 15 to 20 feet above the ground and stalling the aircraft seemed almost imminent. The airspeed indicator wasnow showing just under 40. I remember lowering the nose to attempt to hit into the dirt prior to the trees and seem to remember a bounce and hitting up against the trees."

The Lincoln Municipal Airport Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) reported that the airplane was 10 miles west of AHQ when the pilot reported that he had bottomed out on fuel. At 1629, the pilot reported he had the airport in sight but was not going to be able to make it.

A Federal Aviation Administration inspector examined the airplane at the accident site. The airplane rested among trees in a field 3 miles west of AHQ. The airplane's engine was broken off at the firewall. The nose gear was broken aft. The left wing was broken aft at the wing root. The right wing was bent aft. Flight control continuity was confirmed. An examination of the carburetor and fuel system lines showed no evidence of fuel. An examination of the airplane's engine and remaining systems showed no anomalies.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page