On September 30, 2001, at 1345 central daylight time, a Beech 70 twin-engine airplane, N45BD, was substantially damaged during a forced landing following a loss of right engine power during initial takeoff climb from Easterwood Field, College Station, Texas. The commercial pilot and his eight passengers were not injured. The airplane was registered to and operated by SMS Aviation L.L.C., Odessa, Texas. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulation Part 91 cross-country flight. The flight was originating at the time of the accident and was destined for Odessa.

The pilot stated that at 1335, he taxied the airplane for departure on runway 34, and the taxi and run up were "normal." The pilot estimated that there were approximately 150 gallons of fuel on board at the time of the accident. During the initial takeoff climb, at 100 feet agl , the pilot reduced power to climb power (75%). Approximately 10 seconds later, the right engine lost partial power (approximately 40%). Five seconds later, the right engine power increased to climb power for about 10 seconds, then the engine lost total power. The pilot stated that "at all times, the engine was smooth, even during loss and gain, then complete loss of power." The pilot executed a gear-up forced landing to a grassy area between two roads approximately 1/2 mile north of the runway. Subsequently, the airplane's left wing struck a road sign and the outboard 3 feet of the wing separated. The airplane skidded approximately 100 feet and came to rest upright in the grass. The pilot and passengers safely exited the aircraft through the cabin door.

One passenger reported that she "glanced over towards the right propeller and it wasn't going." Another passenger reported that he "noticed [the] right engine out directly after takeoff." Another passenger "heard or saw nothing unusual until...'tighten your seatbelts - we're going down.'"

The air traffic controller on duty at the time of the accident reported that "on departure as he lifted off I noticed smoke from what appeared both engines and the aircraft was not gaining altitude. I asked the pilot if he was having a problem. He answered back, 'lost engine(s).'"

Witnesses reported the following: "the right prop was not turning; we heard a pop from an aircraft taking off of runway 34...blue colored smoke from the left engine and a little from the right engine; it was already airborne with smoke billowing from the right engine."

A review of the maintenance records revealed that the airplane was last endorsed for a 100-hour inspection on June 21, 2001, at a total time of 13,848.6 hours, and was endorsed for an annual inspection on January 22, 2001, at a total time of 13,748.8 hours. The right engine, a 340-horsepower Lycoming IGSO-480-A1E6 (serial number RL 1957-44) had accumulated 891.0 total hours since overhaul. The reason for the loss of engine power was not determined.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page