On June 30, 2001, at 0930 eastern daylight time, an experimental amateur built Melenyk Genesis, N370E, piloted by a private pilot, was substantially damaged during a forced landing on a wheat field following a loss of engine power near Howell, Michigan. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight was not operating on a flight plan. The pilot received no injuries and the passenger received minor injuries. The local flight originated from the Livingston County Airport, Howell, Michigan at 0900.

The pilot reported in a written statement, "...I departed Livingston County Airport (OZW) for a local pleasure flight in my kit built Genesis aircraft. On board was one [passenger], my son. Preflight inspection was routine with nothing appearing abnormal. The fuel [tank] was filled prior to flight to about a half gallon short of full. The engine was started run-up and then as my custom shut down and 2nd brief inspection performed."

"Departure from runway 31 was normal and [climb]-out uneventful. The flight was local not more than 10 to 12 miles from the airport any anytime. At 35 minutes in the flight about 5 mile Southwest of the airport, engine went from cruise power to substantially less power eventually dropping to idle. Adjustment to the throttle, i.e. open and closure and open as well as cycling the ignition failed to change the engine"

"The flight path was back toward the home airport OZW. At the power weaken it became apparent that I would not be able to make it back to the airport. I radioed my circumstances and position to other aircraft in the area and looked for alternative landing sites. At about 500 feet agl I chose a nearby wheat field that was a straight flight. As I clear the roadways and powerless, I set-up for a forced landing in the field being careful to maintain airspeed so as not to stall the plane. As the plane skidded to a stop, it nosed over and ended on [its] back. I released my seat my seat belt, kicked the door out, released my son's seatbelt and we both [exited] the plane. I shut off the fuel, gathered items and [departed] the crash site. We both walked out under [our] own power. My son was later taken to an emergency room for a precautionary exam because of a bump on his head. Emergency room found nothing of consequences."

"Damage was done to the wheat crop and the airplane remained intact. The point [of] touchdown was on dirt in a wheat field about 2 weeks from harvest."

Examination of the airplane by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) revealed no anomalies. The FAA also reported that the landing direction was to the northeast.

At 0915, winds at OZW were recorded to be from 270 degrees at 6 knots.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page