On June 1, 2001, approximately 1315 mountain daylight time, a Cessna 172M, C-FDGH, registered to Dan Air Limited, and being flown by a Canadian certificated commercial pilot, was substantially damaged when it nosed over during a forced landing following a total loss of power while on a descent for landing near Pingree, Idaho. The pilot and passenger were uninjured. Visual meteorological conditions existed and a VFR flight plan was in effect. The flight, which was personal, was operated under 14 CFR 91 and, according to the pilot, departed from Great Falls, Montana, at 0954 on the morning of the accident.

The pilot reported that he departed Edmonton (CYXD), Alberta, with full fuel (48 gallons useable) stopping at Drumheller (CEG4), Alberta, Cut Bank (KCTB), Montana, and finally Great Falls (KGTF), Montana. He then reported purchasing 12 gallons of fuel and departed for Pocatello, Idaho. Approximately 20 miles out of Pocatello the engine abruptly stopped and the pilot was unable to achieve a restart. He executed a forced landing in a potato field. During the rollout, the soft dry furrows in the field changed orientation slightly and the aircraft nosed over.

The pilot reported in his statement (NTSB Form 6120.1/2) the following flight times and fuel loads associated with the trip:

CYXD-CEG4 1 hrs 10 minutes Departed with 48 gallons usable
CEG4-KCTB 1 hrs 35 minutes No fuel added
KCTB-KGTF 0 hrs 49 minutes 12 gallons fuel added
KGTF-SITE 3 hrs 16 minutes

TOTALS: 6 hrs 51 minutes 60 gallons usable

*Does not include taxi and run up time.

The pilot further reported in his statement: "...At approximately 13:00, shortly after passing Dubois VOR, Idaho Falls tower frequency was tuned in. The pilot had thoughts of landing at Idaho Falls but decided to fly as flight planned! FSS was then contacted to extend flight plan by 30 minutes. C-FDGH commenced to descend out of 8,500 feet. At twenty (20) statue [sic] miles out, Pocatello tower was contacted with the intention to land. When out of 7,000 feet and about fifteen statue [sic] miles from Pocatello, the engine quit...."

A Federal Aviation Administration Inspector from the Salt Lake City Flight Standards District Office examined the aircraft and it was subsequently recovered from the accident site and transported to the Pocatello Airport. During the examination and recovery process no fuel spillage was noted, and no fuel was found within either wing tank. There was no evidence of a fuel spill at the site and no odor of fuel. The 5/8 inch diameter fuel supply line between the gascolator and carburetor was removed and approximately 4.5 ounces of fuel was retrieved (refer to attached statement).

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page