On May 20, 2001, at 1340 mountain standard time, an experimental Wright Avid Flyer single-engine airplane, N214DW, collided with terrain and nosed down following a loss of control during a go-around attempt at the Show Low Municipal Airport, Show Low, Arizona. The private pilot, who was the sole occupant, was not injured. The airplane was substantially damaged. The airplane was registered to and operated by the pilot under 14 CFR Part 91 as a personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan had not been filed. The flight originated at Casa Grande, Arizona, about 1130, and was destined for Show Low.

According to the pilot's written statement, he departed Casa Grande after reviewing "local news broadcasts," and determining there were no "appreciable clouds or other weather hazards." The flight was uneventful to Show Low and when it arrived at the airport, the pilot entered the traffic pattern for runway 3 to determine the wind direction and speed. The pilot stated the windsock appeared to be depicting a wind that was 10 to 20 degrees offset from the runway. He requested weather information and landing instructions over the airport's Unicom frequency; however, he did not receive any information.

The pilot attempted one landing; however, he was high and fast on final approach so he performed a go-around. On the next approach, he extended his final approach leg and attempted another landing. On the second approach, with the flaps fully extended, the pilot noticed some turbulence and had trouble maintaining runway alignment. He elected to go around again and added full power to maintain level flight and increase his airspeed. At the same time, the airplane descended rapidly and impacted the runway. The airplane bounced twice, and after the second bounce, the airplane was headed toward the left side of the runway. The pilot stated he was unable to maintain runway alignment.

As the airplane departed the runway surface, the nose landing gear dug into the ground, and the airplane nosed down, coming to rest on its main landing gear and engine cowling. The pilot shut off the fuel valve and electrical equipment and climbed out of the airplane. Review of photographs taken at the accident site revealed the lift struts were bent, the left outboard wing was twisted down, and the fuselage was buckled aft of the cockpit. The left flaperon was separated from its outboard attachment. The propeller was splintered.

The pilot stated that witnesses came to his aid at the accident site and one of them mentioned he heard the pilot's weather and landing information request and responded, but the pilot mentioned he never heard the response transmission.

The pilot added he assumed, "the turbulence had caused the flaps to go immediately from full deflection to zero."

The airport manager indicated the airplane came to rest 1,116 feet from the approach end of runway 03. Tire skid marks were noted on the runway and grass leading to the airplane and measured approximately 229 feet in length. Another area of skid marks was noted prior to the ones leading to the wreckage with a gap in between the sets of skid marks. The airport manager also noted what appeared to be propeller gash marks in the dirt leading to the wreckage.

The airport manager provided the surface weather observations at the airport around the time of the accident. The wind was from 310 degrees at 15 knots.

The pilot reported having a total of 77.1 hours of flight time, of which 12.9 hours were accumulated in the accident airplane make and model.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page