On April 2, 2001, at 1715 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 182P, N21306, collided with the ground 1500 feet from the departure end of runway 27 at McCullum Field in Kennesaw, Georgia. The personal flight was operated by the pilot under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91, with no flight plan filed. Visual weather conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The pilot received serious injuries at the time of the accident and the airplane was substantially damaged. The flight departed Kennesaw, Georgia, at 1714.

Reportedly, the pilot was conducting touch and go landings, and was executing the climb out phase of the procedure. According to air traffic control, during the initial climb out from runway 27, the pilot reported an unspecified engine problem. The airplane collided with the ground in a nose low attitude and flipped inverted.

Examination of the airframe assembly failed to disclose a mechanical malfunction or component failure. Examination of the engine assembly disclosed that the fuel recovered in the carburetor bowl was brownish in color. The fuel grade and type was not determined. During the subsequent examination, necessary repairs were made to the engine assembly to facilitate a functional check. The engine operated normally up to 2000 rpm during the functional check. The engine ran smooth with no anomalies noted. The entire run was approximately ten minutes in duration. After the engine run-up, the oil sump was removed and inspected, and it was noted that there were pieces of metal found in the sump. The pieces of metal were identified as the oil control ring expander coil. A review of recovered weather data showed that weather conditions at the time of the accident were favorable for carburetor icing conditions.

Reportedly, the airplane had recently undergone a pre-purchase inspection. A review of the inspection findings showed that there were approximately 60 maintenance related write-ups which included water in fuel tanks. A review of the airplane and engine maintenance logs revealed that the engine had a total of 3,277 hours and 1,676.99 hours since the last major overhaul. The last annual inspection was completed on February 1, 2001 at 2463.2 airframe hours.

The pilot was hospitalized after the accident and was placed in intensive care. On May 26, 2001, the pilot passed as a result of the serious injuries sustained in the accident.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page