On December 27, 2000, at 0750 central standard time, a Cessna 152, N757DX, piloted by a student pilot, sustained substantial damage during a precautionary landing near Sturtevant, Wisconsin. The 14 CFR Part 91 flight was not on a flight plan. Visual meteorological conditions were reported at two weather reporting stations near the accident site. The student pilot, who was the sole occupant of the aircraft, reported no injuries. The local flight originated from the John H Batten Airport, Racine, Wisconsin, at about 0730.

In a written statement, the pilot said that the flight began as a dual instructional flight and that he and his flight instructor made, "...2-3 takeoffs and landings, together." He stated that his instructor then told him to, "... takeoff, fly around for a while and land again. Weather up to this point was overcast light snow." The pilot said that the snowfall was getting heavier and that he decided to return to the airport. He said, "Before I made the initial turn to base I noticed my airspeed was only 50 KIAS. This was after I put carb heat on, throttle back to 1500 RPM, nose up to 60 KIAS and flaps to 10 [degrees]. Concerned that my airspeed was not high enough to make the left hand turn, I decided to make a right hand turn to circle around again and increase my airspeed. I kept trying to increase the airspeed with no success, by lowering the nose. I ended up by I-94 and Hwy 11. On my route there I tried radioing the airport but could not hear the instructor. Once I could he said to land at Sylvania [airport], which I didn't know where it was. All this time the airspeed kept dropping and I was concerned about a stall. The airspeed became so low (30-35 KIAS) I decided to land in a field. I could not find Sylvania. I believe this was a hayfield and was snow covered [approximately] 10-14 inches. ... When the wheels touched ground it went for a short distance and flipped over nose first." The pilot said that after the accident, his instructor came to the accident site and told him that the pitot tube was, "plugged up."

In a telephone conversation, the pilot said that two days after the accident his flight instructor asked him to complete his pre-solo written examination. The student-pilot provided a copy of the cover page for the written examination dated "1/2/01".

A weather report for a reporting station located about 7 miles and 060 degrees from the accident site was reporting, at 0753; winds 290 degrees at 07 knots; visibility 4 statute miles; light snow; ceiling 2600 feet overcast; altimeter setting 30.28 inches of Mercury.

A weather report for a reporting station located about 7 miles and 170 degrees from the accident site was reporting, at 0810; winds 310 degrees at 08 knots; visibility 2 statute miles; light snow; scattered clouds at 2200 feet; ceiling 2600 feet overcast; altimeter setting 30.27 inches of Mercury.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page