On November 3, 2000, about 1345 Alaska standard time, a wheel equipped Cessna 207A airplane, N7336U, sustained substantial damage during an aborted takeoff from the Bethel Airport, Bethel, Alaska. The airplane was being operated as a visual flight rules (VFR) on-demand cargo flight transporting mail under Title 14, CFR Part 135, when the accident occurred. The airplane was owned by Flight Alaska, Inc., doing business as Yute Air Alaska. The solo commercial pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and company visual flight rules (VFR) flight following procedures were in effect for the flight to Kongiganak, Alaska.

During a telephone conversation with the National Transportation Safety Board investigator-in-charge on November 3, the pilot reported that while taxiing from the parking apron, en route to the departure runway, the Bethel Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) advised him that an immediate departure would be possible if he was able to accept another runway, runway 29. The pilot said that after accepting the alternate runway, he taxied onto runway 29 at intersection Echo. He said runway 29 was a gravel runway that had a light accumulation of heavy, wet snow/slush, and estimated that he would have about 1,500 feet of runway remaining from intersection Echo. The pilot said while departing runway 29, the airplane veered to the left, and he applied full right rudder to correct the veer. He said that he was unable to correct the veer, so he closed the throttle, aborted the takeoff, and applied maximum braking. The airplane ran off the end of the runway, down an embankment, and struck a chain link fence. The airplane sustained substantial damage to both wings.

Bethel tower personnel reported that when departing runway 29 from intersection Echo, the published usable remaining runway is 1,350 feet. In addition, published usable full-length of runway 29, is 1,850 feet.

The closest weather observation station is Bethel. On November 3, at 1353, an Aviation Routine Weather Report (METAR) was reporting in part: Sky conditions and ceiling, 4,000 feet broken, 10,000 feet broken, 14,000 feet overcast; visibility, 10 statute miles; wind, 093 degrees (magnetic) at 9 knots; temperature, 37 degrees F; dew point, 33 degrees F; altimeter, 29.84.

The pilot submitted a written report to the NTSB dated November 4. In his written report, the pilot wrote, in part: "After a few hundred feet I could feel the right main gear grabbing. I let off of the right rudder and it still continued. I began to drift from centerline, and found myself using more left rudder than right. Realizing that the right main gear was stuck or frozen, I thrusted my right foot on the right break in hopes of breaking it free. This maneuver failed so I immediately applied breaks and pulled the throttle to idle."

On November 15, the operator reported that there were no postaccident mechanical anomalies noted with the accident airplane's engine, flight controls, or brakes.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page