On November 11, 2000, at 1640 central standard time, a Cessna T210N, N9528Y, piloted by a private pilot, sustained substantial damage during a forced landing, following a complete loss of engine power while in cruise flight, near Kankakee, Illinois. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The personal flight was operating under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91 and was on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan. The pilot and four of his passengers reported no injuries. One passenger sustained serious injuries. The flight departed the Greater Rockford Airport, Rockford (RFD), Illinois, approximately 1545, and was en route to the Indianapolis Terry Airport, Indianapolis, Indiana.

According to the pilot's written statement, the flight departed RFD and climbed to a cruising altitude of 7,000 feet msl. The pilot reported, "As we were passing west of Kankakee, there was an instantaneous and complete loss of [engine] power. As soon as I determined the engine had quit, I used my moving map GPS [global position system] to decide IKK (Greater Kankakee Airport) might be reachable. As I turned to IKK, I contacted Chicago Center to advise them of my power loss and tell them I was diverting to IKK. At this point the gear warning horn was very loud and I am not sure exactly what Chicago [Center] replied with, but I believe he [the controller] cleared me to IKK. I established a heading for direct to IKK and trimmed the airplane for best glide airspeed." The pilot stated that he attempted to restart the engine without success. The pilot reported, "I obtained a visual on IKK and was convinced that I had more than adequate altitude to make the runway. I extended the gear [landing gear] to be sure I had adequate power [electrical power] to run the gear pump. As I continued to descend, it became apparent that I would not make the runway and I hoped to clear the highway that was ahead of me. As I realized I would not clear the highway, I turned slightly south to both avoid several farm buildings and give myself more field to land in. I landed in a field with roughly 500 feet before a raised highway. The plane impacted the highway bank and came to rest in the middle of the highway pointing 90 degrees to the right of our travel path."

The engine was a 310-horsepower Teledyne Continental Motors (TCM) TSIO-520-R6B, serial number 512109-H, and at the time of the accident had accumulated 3,283.7 total hours since new. The engine had accumulated 1,683.7 hours since the last major overhaul, which was completed on August 9, 1988.

The engine was removed from the airframe and sent to TCM, Mobile, Alabama, for a tear-down inspection. The engine was inspected on December 10, 2000, in the presence of the National Transportation Safety Board Investigator-In-Charge. The engine was confirmed to be TCM TSIO-520-R6B, serial number 512109-H. According to a tear-down inspection report generated by TCM, "Crankshaft was broken at number 3 cheek, aft radius of number 2 main bearing. Fracture origin was in the lower radius (multiple origin) of number 2 main bearing." The inspection report stated, "Main bearing support number 2 exhibited light fretting and bearing shift. Number 3 main bearing support exhibited bearing shift. Number 2 main bearing was broken up. The oil sump contained pieces of bearing debris. Two thin strips of steel bearing backing remained in number 2 main bearing saddle of the left crankcase half. Number 2 main bearing saddle was pounded in both crankcase halves." A copy of the tear-down inspection report is attached to this factual report.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page