On September 12, 2000, approximately 1515 Pacific daylight time, a Cessna 172P, N53201, while taxiing for takeoff at Friday Harbor, Washington, collided with a Cessna 182J, N3347F. At the time of the collision, the Cessna 182, which had just landed, was stopped on the taxiway with its engine running. The Cessna 172 was substantially damaged in the collision, and its private pilot was not injured. The private pilot of the Cessna 182 was not injured, and the Cessna 182 received minor damage. At the time of the accident, the Cessna 172 was preparing to depart on a visual flight rules (VFR) flight plan to its home base of King County International Airport/Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington, on a 14 CFR 91 personal flight. The Cessna 182 pilot did not report his departure point, although the Cessna 182 was registered to a company in Friday Harbor. There was no record of a flight plan being filed for the 14 CFR 91 personal flight of the Cessna 182. Visual meteorological conditions, with visibility of 10 miles, were reported at Friday Harbor at 1453.

A statement prepared by the Cessna 172 pilot stated that he was taxiing south toward the active runway (16) at the time. He reported that as he approached the fuel island, he noted an aircraft fueling on the outside (taxiway side) of the fueling island. He also stated that he noted the Cessna 182 taxiing toward him at that time, coming north. The Cessna 172 pilot reported that the Cessna 182 "continued to taxi for a moment and then stopped, engine idling, somewhat off the left side of the taxiway, but not off the hard surface and abeam and directly across from the fueling aircraft", which, according to the Cessna 172 pilot, "considerably narrowed the available taxiway." The Cessna 172 pilot reported that he then attempted to taxi between the Cessna 182 and the aircraft at the fueling island. As the Cessna 172 pilot attempted to taxi between the two aircraft, the Cessna 172's left wing struck the Cessna 182's left wing.

The Cessna 182 pilot reported that after landing, he taxied to where the collision happened, pulling to the edge of the asphalt to wait for the other aircraft to pass by. The Cessna 182 pilot stated that he "waited at the apron by [the] fuel pumps so [the Cessna 172] would have more room to pass." The Cessna 182 pilot reported that the wing tips of the two aircraft then collided.

Use your browsers 'back' function to return to synopsis
Return to Query Page